switching between GE transistors, common base okay?

Started by unidive, June 30, 2009, 06:36:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

unidive

so, I have a fuzz, and I noticed that in v1, two different transistors gave me a wildly different sound - and I wanted to select between them. So what I did was I rigged up a switch to select between each transistors collector and emitter, but left the base common. but I noticed with both in the sockets, that the sound of each was affected by the other.. is there any reason for this? or am I just hearing things?

I know GE's are leaky, maybe some current is being passed through one transitor (base to emiiter?) because of leakage, and its causing a voltage drop for the other maybe?

sean k

Not that I know but one would think that if they are unconnected then theres no earth for them to charge up to.
Monkey see, monkey do.
Http://artyone.bolgtown.co.nz/

unidive

Quote from: sean k on June 30, 2009, 06:47:55 PM
Not that I know but one would think that if they are unconnected then theres no earth for them to charge up to.

that's what I mean, the current finds earth via transistor leakage or reverse bias maybe

bluesdevil

You should probably just use a 3PDT toggle to switch all of it. I recently put together a Harmonic Perculator with a 3 pole 4 position rotary switch to swap between 2 transistors plus a cap switched in the last position.... worked out great!!
"I like the box caps because when I'm done populating the board it looks like a little city....and I'm the Mayor!" - armdnrdy

unidive

okay I'm an idiot

what does it matter if theres leakage, or the base is common, there's no way current can flow through it, because nothing has potential :D

Toney

Well if you have a signal entering via the base and seeing as there is a leaky diode-like junction, you may have weird results.
If you are stuck with two poles I would switch base and collector, leaving emitter to ground.