Whipple Inductor Dimensions?

Started by davent, July 01, 2009, 06:59:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davent

Hello,

I'm working up a PCB wah layout and want to make sure i leave enough room for one of the Whipple inductors. Does anybody know the height  and diameter of the Whipple as well as the lead spacing, number of leads? The wah inductor i do have on hand is a tiny little thing so not much help in planning a flexible layout.

Thanks folks!
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

andrew_k

whipples have 4 legs, spaced in a square. Two adjacent pins are the inductor, the other two are NC; mounting pins.
If no one else helps you first I'll pull my wah open tonight and get the measurements for you.

davent

Thank you Andrew! I'm using ExpressPCB and drew up an inductor based on the one shown on the Tonepad wah layout, four pads based on a 0.3" square, four pads based on a 0.4" square and then a body diameter of 5/8". No idea how close these dimensions are relative to the Whipple. Anybody?

So far...

Thanks
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

andrew_k

Doh! Sorry Dave, I forgot last night. Just wrote myself a note so I can't do the same tonight.

That said, I'd almost make a bet that the footprint you've got there will accommodate a whipple perfectly.

panterafanatic

that will definitely fit a whipple. or it'd at least fit the halo clone i made from sbe.
-Jared

N.S.B.A. ~ Coming soon

davent

Thanks guys and no problem there Andrew :), i wasn't sure about the whipple as any pictures i've seen of it have been just it alone without anything to compare it to size wise, i imagined it to be much bigger.  Had checked the Small Bear halo info some time ago but again no dimensions, i thought the kit looked similar to the finished whipples. I guess the next concern is the height as i've got the inductor located at the end of the board that sits at the shallower end of the enclosure, maybe not enough clearance?  If you do get a chance guys to do a measurement of even just the height it'd greatly appreciated!

Take care,
dave

panterafanatic

i'll check mine now, their around the width of a quarter iirc.
-Jared

N.S.B.A. ~ Coming soon

panterafanatic

the pins are 1/2" apart and 7/8" across for the plastic housing. i'm the diagonal for the pins is the same as a 1-1 right triangle (1.54X the value, the whole 1-1- square root of 2 thing.)
-Jared

N.S.B.A. ~ Coming soon

Auke Haarsma

andrew_k

Hopefully someone else can give you the height of the whipple -- I had a good look over the weekend and I can't find my wah :( Haven't seen it since I moved house a few months back!

davent

Quote from: andrew_k on July 05, 2009, 11:30:34 PM
Hopefully someone else can give you the height of the whipple -- I had a good look over the weekend and I can't find my wah :( Haven't seen it since I moved house a few months back!

It'll turn up when you least suspect it in a box that has nothing to do with your guitar gear. Moving is such a hassle! No plans for that anytime soon.

I received an email today from Micheal at The Whipple and he gave the pin spacing as 13/32" (~0.4") and the size of the octagonal shell as 13/16" across so I've been adjusting part of my layout as i didn't leave enough space around the inductor. He didn't mention the height so if anybody knows...

Thanks,
dave