Speaker simulator + amp with normal speakers=???

Started by Bubesz, July 05, 2009, 04:30:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bubesz

Hi!

I have a pretty insane(?) idea: I have a Little Gem amp, but only with an old radio speaker. And it's not made for guitar amps. Of course itworks, but you can hear it's not designed for it. And I thought of this: What if I build a speaker simulator and put it after the amp section, before the speaker? The circuit should simulate the response of a guitar speaker/cab. What do you think, will it improve the sound?

Taylor

I believe a speaker simulator is generally an EQ which removes high end (>5khz?) and maybe boosts low mids. The point is to make a "flat" responding device (like a mixer) respond more like a speaker, which is not at all flat.

By doing what you're planning to do, you're adding the EQ curve of one speaker to another speaker. The problem is that, unlike a mixer, your radio speaker is not flat - not even close. What you get all depends on the frequency response already inherent in your radio. You might like it, you might not, but it isn't going to make a radio speaker sound like a Marshall half stack.

Prive

You can't run the cab sim after the amp, you have to put it between the preamp and the power amp cause it works with line levels, you could try the bulldog from runoffgroove, it sounds really good and have a control for the low end if your speakers need some adjust.

Saludos, Marcelo.
Fuzz boxes don't need on/off switch!!!!!!!!

km-r

Quote from: Prive on July 05, 2009, 05:53:53 PM
You can't run the cab sim after the amp, you have to put it between the preamp and the power amp cause it works with line levels, you could try the bulldog from runoffgroove, it sounds really good and have a control for the low end if your speakers need some adjust.

Saludos, Marcelo.

there are also some passive speaker simulators out there that are to be connected after the power amp.

a radio speaker generally have overly dominating mids, fuzzy highs and almost no lows...

Look at it this way- everyone rags on air guitar here because everyone can play guitar.  If we were on a lawn mower forum, air guitar would be okay and they would ridicule air mowing.

Bubesz

Prive: I would use a Condor Cab Sim or a passive Marshall cab sim, which -as km-r said- can be put after the power amp. By the way, Little Gem is not much more powerful than a simple preamp, I think...

km-r: And what if I use a Hifi speaker instead of the radio speaker? It must be better quality...