SHO before a Crunch Box (There is a weird hum when both are engaged?)

Started by sevenisthenumber, July 06, 2009, 08:53:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sevenisthenumber

I have built the  MarkM layout for the Crunched Box along with a Zvex SHO (Andrew Carrell layout) in one enclosure, two footswitches. They both work great but when they are on together there is a strange hum in the background.....? The SHO is pre crunchbox. What could be causing this?

sevenisthenumber

I had been using 9v power supplies like the BOSS and EH one... I just used a fresh battery and it isnt happening???  Anybody know how to fix this?

Toney

Sounds like a grounding issue, assuming they both work OK independently.
How's the power? Did you include some filter caps?

sevenisthenumber

okay....   i removed the led's positive wire from the 9v jack and it goes away. With a battery this noise isnt an issue??? ONly with the adaptors...

They work great independently with the led's but not together???

sevenisthenumber

MikeH

What is the value of you current limiting resistor for the LED?  Just curious...
"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH

petemoore

Duplicate post fodder  :icon_smile:
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

sevenisthenumber

Quote from: MikeH on July 07, 2009, 12:19:10 AM
What is the value of you current limiting resistor for the LED?  Just curious...

1k metal film

petemoore

First, have a capacitor across the power rails, a BFC, 100uf should cover it.
  Then you could try reducing the current through the LED by increasing the 1k, this will tell you if increased current = increased ripple.

Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Toney

Yeah, like Pete said.
Another thing that could possibly help... having the current limiting resistor on the neg side of the LED if you don't already.
Also... just try another LED!

frokost

I had the same issue recently. A 100 R in series with + and a 100uF to ground solved it.