Buzzy tubes for me, please. :)

Started by JimRayden, July 08, 2009, 02:31:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimRayden

Could anyone explain the acoustic features of a buzz/bazzfuss effect and a possible method of achieving it using tubes? Off-biasing? Cutting treble at the input?

I have in mind something in the lines of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPtYaAZlfwE&feature=related

---------
Jimbo

Taylor

I'm curious why you'd want to make this. You like the sound of the bazz fuss, but you want it to be 10 times more difficult to achieve, and use way more electricity?

I always try to find the simplest ways to achieve complex things, not the other way around.

JimRayden

Just found a five year old project which basically is a transformer and three tubes sticking out from the top of a computer switch of some sort. So I have the box with all the metalwork done with the PSU all wired up and I would have to just connect up the tube sockets with components and wires. In this case, it's simpler than a whole new pedal project.

That, and I already have an amp to give me good valve overdrive so I thought to try something different.

---------
Jimbo

Derringer

with the BassFuzz, it's all about the 2-fold function of the diode from collector to base

it passes DC to bias the base and also passes clipped AC as feedback .... similar to the big muff clipping stages

for application with tubes, see this thread

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=77636.0

Ripthorn

When talking about a bazz fuss, a whole new project is easier than even minor modifications of something else.  I think mine took about 5 minutes, tops.
Exact science is not an exact science - Nikola Tesla in The Prestige
https://scientificguitarist.wixsite.com/home

JimRayden

Quote from: Ripthorn on July 08, 2009, 09:33:47 AM
When talking about a bazz fuss, a whole new project is easier than even minor modifications of something else.  I think mine took about 5 minutes, tops.

Meanwhile remembering that "a pedal without an enclosure is not a pedal at all"? :D Heck, I usually need to reserve a whole afternoon just to prepair drilling an enclosure. :)
Quote from: Derringer on July 08, 2009, 09:14:31 AM
with the BassFuzz, it's all about the 2-fold function of the diode from collector to base

it passes DC to bias the base and also passes clipped AC as feedback .... similar to the big muff clipping stages

for application with tubes, see this thread

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=77636.0

Thank you, will see.

----------
Jimbo

JimRayden

What could he be using for the thick and buzzy sound anyway? (see first post)

---------
Jimbo

Derringer

I've only built a couple different fuzzes but that sounds a lot like a Superfuzz w/ the scoop sound engaged

and I just discovered The Black Keys relatively recently ... awesome tones aren't they ?

JimRayden

Quote from: Derringer on July 09, 2009, 10:30:17 AM
and I just discovered The Black Keys relatively recently ... awesome tones aren't they ?

I rarely say Amen but this situation calls for it. Really very good stuff they do.

Quote from: Derringer on July 09, 2009, 10:30:17 AM
I've only built a couple different fuzzes but that sounds a lot like a Superfuzz w/ the scoop sound engaged

I got pointed to it a while ago when I was searching the pedal for Townsend's tone at Rock'n'Roll Circus, now I just can't postpone building it, most possibly is the tone I'm looking for.

--------
Jimbo

Derringer

Superfuzz

Here's the vero I made for a modified one
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=77512.0

there's also a vero for the stock design in the layouts gallery

I'd say breadboard it first and tweak to taste ... it's a great sounding circuit with lots of tweakability

JimRayden

Started to look around for parts, all I found were JFETs and old russian Ge PNPs (every one I seem to have measured and marked for gain and leakage years ago)...

...so I just built another Fuzz Face. ;D

Superfuzz'll have to wait, it will be manufactured properly and gig-worthily. So will the Tubazz Fuss.

Thanks for the vero layout, I'll make sure to check it out once I start building it.

---------
Jimbo

puretube

Quote from: JimRayden on July 08, 2009, 04:22:18 AM
Just found a five year old project which basically is a transformer and three tubes sticking out from the top of a computer switch of some sort. So I have the box with all the metalwork done with the PSU all wired up and I would have to just connect up the tube sockets with components and wires. In this case, it's simpler than a whole new pedal project.

That, and I already have an amp to give me good valve overdrive so I thought to try something different.

---------
Jimbo

What type of tubes sticking out, Jimbo?
HV?

JimRayden

Quote from: puretube on July 15, 2009, 05:42:30 PM
Quote from: JimRayden on July 08, 2009, 04:22:18 AM

---------
Jimbo

What type of tubes sticking out, Jimbo?
HV?

Sorry for the delay, have been on the road for a few gigs. Hi Ton! :)

It was a parallel SE 2xEL84 power amp with a crummy output transformer, so I decided to ditch that and use the sockets for preamp tubes instead.

I'm getting close to 500V out of the PSU but that is to be reduced to around 300.

---------
Jimbo