Pedal Patch Bay

Started by azrael, July 08, 2009, 04:45:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

azrael

I was gonna a build a patch bay like this:
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Pedal-Pad-Patch-Pad-Guitar-Effects-Pedalboard-Patch-Bay?sku=500953#new

for my pedalboard, to make it easier to set up for gigs and stuff.

this is how i was planning on wiring it...

I think that would work properly.
But how do I ground the enclosure? Because if I don't, I'll end up with a fair amount of hum, right?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

MikeH

I was just looking at the link- what is this thing supposed to do?
"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH

jacobyjd

It's basically just a bus station to put all your Guitar>Board and Board>Amp connections in an easy location. Looks like it has an A/B function too, for the guitar input.

Azreal: the jacks connected to the metal enclosure will ground it, so no hum.
Warsaw, Indiana's poetic love rock band: http://www.bellwethermusic.net

FlyingZ

Ground the guitar input and keep the fx loop grounds isolated possibly with plastic jacks. I'm not sure about the amp out so isolate it to be safe.

trixdropd

Quote from: FlyingZ on July 08, 2009, 06:31:38 PM
Ground the guitar input and keep the fx loop grounds isolated possibly with plastic jacks. I'm not sure about the amp out so isolate it to be safe.
Exactly. use metal jacks for all connection except amp footswitch in and out. make those plastic with isolated grounds.

FlyingZ

I didn't see the foot switch jack, definitely isolate that.

DO NOT combine the guitar and effects loop grounds. It may work on some amps but absolutely not on others.

azrael

Quote from: jacobyjd on July 08, 2009, 05:20:59 PM
It's basically just a bus station to put all your Guitar>Board and Board>Amp connections in an easy location. Looks like it has an A/B function too, for the guitar input.
Exactly.
Quote from: jacobyjd on July 08, 2009, 05:20:59 PM
Azreal: the jacks connected to the metal enclosure will ground it, so no hum.
And perfect!

Quote from: FlyingZ on July 08, 2009, 07:57:58 PM

DO NOT combine the guitar and effects loop grounds. It may work on some amps but absolutely not on others.
I thought the stereo jacks might be an issue. I read that in the MF link I posted...so I was wondering about that. How do I ground that? Just keep them from touching the enclosure? So...If I used something like nail polish on the inside of the mounting hole, and plastic washers to keep the jack from touching the enclosure? Or something like that?

thanks for the help so far guys!

jacobyjd

Quote from: FlyingZ on July 08, 2009, 07:57:58 PM

Good point.
Warsaw, Indiana's poetic love rock band: http://www.bellwethermusic.net

Paul Marossy

Personally, I think each loop ground should be isolated. Otherwise you might have some potential problems with ground loops.

I'd be willing to bet that is how the looper linked above is built. It's using plastic jacks which isolates them from what appears to be a metal enclosure and I would guess that the grounds are only common for each loop, not all of them connected together. I've built some loopers before, and that is pretty much how I do it, too.

azrael

^But if I isolate them like that, how am I grounding the enclosure?

Still confused about how the stereo jacks..If they're isolated from the enclosure, they're still grounded?

trixdropd

Quote from: azrael on July 09, 2009, 02:59:57 PM

Still confused about how the stereo jacks..If they're isolated from the enclosure, they're still grounded?
use letal jacks for your looper. This grounds the enclosure. For the fx loop jacks, use plastic, and don't connect their ground's to the chassis ground, just to eachother. Plugging a cabl;e from your amps loop into the pedal will establish amp ground on the loop jacks.

Paul Marossy

Quote from: azrael on July 09, 2009, 02:59:57 PM

IMO, none of the jacks need to be grounded to the enclosure. The patchbay is just like an extension cord. You're simply plugging one cord in one end and another cord in the other end. As long as you keep the grounds together for each loop, everything should be fine. Just keep your wires as short and direct as possible, and twist each set of wires together.

azrael

You think twisting should be enough to shield them?

Paul Marossy

Quote from: azrael on July 11, 2009, 12:48:10 PM
You think twisting should be enough to shield them?

Yeah. They're short wires an inch or two long.

azrael

Alright, thank you very much!

I'll drill the enclosure and report back with some pics, just cause. :)

FlyingZ

Personally I would and did ground the guitar only to the box.

Paul Marossy

Quote from: FlyingZ on July 12, 2009, 10:56:41 AM
Personally I would and did ground the guitar only to the box.

It wouldn't hurt anything to do that. If I were to do that, I would probably do it on one of the FX loops instead, though.