Single strand hookup wire?

Started by ayayay!, July 09, 2009, 12:42:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ayayay!

What do you guys use?  And I'm not asking about using discarded leads from components.  I mean, I need a source for wire that I can use on perfboard or to run between grounds on jacks... that kind of thing.

Single strand, durable but flexible.  No insulation.

There's one guy on here that just had a thread about his multi-knob tremolo, where he had like 8 knobs on it built like a Zvex.  Lots of horizontal perfboard runs.  Really nice work.  Looking for that type of wire. 

Thank you! 
The people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

ppatchmods

When your life is over, will any of this STUFF really matter?

petemoore

Teeny value resistors, they start at the right length [long enough to grab, not so long they pull and twist], have heat resistance, and generally are easy to shape and solder [wipe the tape residue off].
  I tend to add the whole little resistor if it goes just through another resistor, helping to make a 10k pot read a touch closer to 10k. I look for the last color code stripe: Black.
  For tight spots they can be stuck straight up out of the board for better soldering access, or 'pushing left' from the side when added to places where there's not much there to solder to.
  I stopped even trying to leave 1 of each value, very rarely do I need a value >100ohm, often enough these values when added in, don't matter, allowing the whole resistor to go in, or just part of one lead.
  Solid core ranges from brittle to fairly bendable, perfectly solderable to untrustworthy/prone to coldsolder joints.

Convention creates following, following creates convention.

punkin

I've seen some guys using cat5 network cable. It's really easily stipped and sometimes you can pick up remnants at the hardware store for nothing.
Ernie Ball Music Man - JPM, THD Univalve, Grace Big Daddy, PepperShredder, BSIAB2, FireFly Amplifier.

drewl

We have a bunch of that stuff at work in different sizes, but I usually use CAT5 or something similiar as I like the option of having a coating for some purposes.

John Lyons

You can get copper solid wire on a roll at most craft stores .
Bare copper or plated.

John
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

ayayay!

Ahh, that Cat5 comment got me to thinking...  I've had a career in telecom for the last 13 years.  Cross connect wire is ideal for this. 

Sure enough, I've got a unused 600 foot roll in my garage... which is now on my workbench.  :)
The people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.