Wich Acoustic Simulator project?

Started by served, July 11, 2009, 06:39:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

served

zeta55

Here's yet another update of the project files with the correct pot value:
http://www.zeta-sound.se/woody/WoodyDIYrev2.rar

Soundsample sounds nice, It's on my list of things to build :)

/Krister
Visit my site: http://www.zeta-sound.se/

Andre

Here's a soundclip and some picture's of my 1590B Woody:
Woody Soundclip

modsquad

It sounds cool, but I'm not sure how practical it is for me at least.  I guess to my tone deaf ears it sounds like my Strat through a tube amp with no distortion.   Maybe after fooling around with EQ.  I guess that's why I have been looking at some of teh Piezo systems out there.   Cool build though. 
"Chuck Norris sleeps with a night light, not because he is afraid of the dark but because the dark is afraid of him"

Ben N

Another thing you might want to look at is the Bill Lawrence Q-filter, which is a high-L inductor that can be wired into your tone control circuitry a variety of ways to get tones unavailale with just pot/cap combinations. I don't have any first-hand knowledge, but it is claimed that with single coils, the Q-filter can get a decent quasi-acoustic response, especially with the bridge pickup. I have also heard from users that, like the simulators (and like piezo bridges) this wasn't something that was going to fool anyone into thinking you were playing a Guild or a Taylor, but useful nonetheless.
  • SUPPORTER

Mark Hammer

Quote from: Andre on October 29, 2009, 06:36:45 AM
Here's a soundclip and some picture's of my 1590B Woody:
Woody Soundclip

I'm almost afraid to ask.  Is that sample an unprocessed guitar, followed by processed, or is it all processed with two different settings?

I ask (and am afraid to ask) because the first part sounds exactly like what I was aiming for, while the second most definitely does not.  The first part sounds very acoustic.  Very nice tone.  The second, not so much.

Andre

QuoteI'm almost afraid to ask.  Is that sample an unprocessed guitar, followed by processed, or is it all processed with two different settings?

Unprocessed followed by processed it is i'm afraid.  :icon_confused:
It was recorded with the amp's pre-amp out to line-in of the computer.
It does sound better than the soundclip.

I will try and do a soundclip using a microphone.

DimebuGG

Quote from: Mark Hammer on October 30, 2009, 11:31:53 AM
I'm almost afraid to ask.  Is that sample an unprocessed guitar, followed by processed, or is it all processed with two different settings?
I ask (and am afraid to ask) because the first part sounds exactly like what I was aiming for, while the second most definitely does not.  The first part sounds very acoustic.  Very nice tone.  The second, not so much.

It sounds like an acoustic guitar fed into the woody acoustic sim... ;D

askwho69

Is the layout verified already?

thanks
a2
"To live is to die"

served

I think that Boss AC is better than this one. Woody just doesn't make that much of a difference. AC costs pretty low also, so I should have bought AC but hey, building is fun, so I am glad I tried this one!

askwho69

Quote from: zeta55 on October 07, 2009, 02:06:59 PM
Here's yet another update of the project files with the correct pot value:
http://www.zeta-sound.se/woody/WoodyDIYrev2.rar

Soundsample sounds nice, It's on my list of things to build :)

/Krister

Is this the layout you tried served? boss is good but i don't like the bypass on it, and you're right building is fun even if the boss, beringer and boston is cheaper! hehehhe

by the way i open a heavy metal boston a while ago ang was shock! wtf most of the components has good components than boss... it has panasonic style caps they're using.

A2
"To live is to die"

WannabeGeek

I know this topic hasn't been updated for over 3 years, but I just breadboarded the Mark Hammers Woody with changes from Oliver Alex entitled revision 2.  I have it plugged into my Telecaster.  The 100k Volume pot works fine.  The 10k "bottom" pot does seem to have quite an effect on the tone, but the 10k "top" pot and the 500k trim have no effect at all. Unfortunately, I didn't have two TL074 ICs on hand so I used a TL084 for IC2.  I'm thinking there must be a bigger difference than I thought between the two chips.  I might just switch them on the breadboard to see what happens as they both have the same layout.  Has anybody else tried using chips other than the TL074 for this project?

WannabeGeek

Update:  I just switched the two op amps and the Woody sounds exactly the same.  The bottom and volume pots work and the trim and top have no effect.  I'm pretty sure I have the rest of the parts in the right place and the specified values for the rest of the schematic.  I'm stumped.  Has anybody else had this problem?   ???

jishnudg

I've always wondered about this...

Ubertar hexaphonic pickup  ---->  6 'woody's, one processing each string and fine tuned for that frequency  --- > mini mixer

Has anyone tried anything similar (with fuzz,octave down effects etc - - anything that'd benefit from string-to-string isolation)

served

Sorry for my late replay.

It just doesn't work that well.
I would buy that Boss pedal and make it truebypass.
The Woody does something but the same time it does nothing.
So its a minor effect. Boss pedal makes a huge difference.

Mark Hammer

Like ANY non-digital acoustic simulator, the Woody works with the treble content already present in one's guitar signal.  It can be expected to sound lousy if used with overwound humbuckers or P90s, and have a more robust effect with single-coil Strat-type pickups.