Tone Control for Double D

Started by Matt505, July 13, 2009, 03:23:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt505

Hello,
I've built a Bounce channel only version of the ROG Double D and am interested in inserting some type of tone control(s). I'm thinking the SWTC or AMZ Presence. Which ones has anyone tried?

First off, would any stack/control be inserted inb/w the 4.7u electrolytic and the Volume pot?

Also, for the AMZ Presence control, I wasn't sure about this statement:

All of the examples above are with the tone control driven by a low impedance source such as an opamp or even a mini-booster. The higher output impedance of a bipolar gain stage as in the

Are CMOS inverters considered a low impedance source for this control to work?

Thanks!
Matt

Ripthorn

If you search you will find at least one discussion where this was the topic.  I don't remember the resolution of it, however.
Exact science is not an exact science - Nikola Tesla in The Prestige
https://scientificguitarist.wixsite.com/home

Mark Hammer

Quote from: Matt505 on July 13, 2009, 03:23:02 PM
Hello,
I've built a Bounce channel only version of the ROG Double D and am interested in inserting some type of tone control(s). I'm thinking the SWTC or AMZ Presence. Which ones has anyone tried?

First off, would any stack/control be inserted inb/w the 4.7u electrolytic and the Volume pot?
Generally, yes.  Although it would depend on the purpose of your tonal adjustment.  For example, alteration of the cap values either between stages, or n the feedback loops, will alter the bass and treble, respectively,  being accumulated/passed through the circuit, which is different and has different consequences than applying tone controls to the result of the circuit (at the output of the 4u7 cap). 
QuoteAlso, for the AMZ Presence control, I wasn't sure about this statement:

All of the examples above are with the tone control driven by a low impedance source such as an opamp or even a mini-booster. The higher output impedance of a bipolar gain stage as in the

Are CMOS inverters considered a low impedance source for this control to work?
Yes.  For simply "smoothing" the output so that it isn't too harsh (especially for those who might switch from clean jangly to heavy overdrive), the SWTC can work quite well, although that is all it does.  A BMP-type control can provide greater differences in voicing than the SWTC, but at a cost of output level.  Pick your priorities.

Matt505

Thanks guys!
Yeah, it's looking like a BMP/AMZ Presence type is what I'm after...not too worried about losing some output, this pedal's got plenty to spare!
Now to see if I can 'dovetail' it all in on a previously built board/enclosure...
Thanks again
-Matt