Superfuzz recovery stage transistor base divider

Started by bluesdevil, July 15, 2009, 03:56:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluesdevil

After tweaking my Superfuzz build to finally get the sound I really like, I noticed the volume is a bit too low with the scoop setting. I thought I would just do what I always do to remedy such problems and throw a LPB on the end. I then took a closer look at the Superfuzz schematic and realized it already has one tacked on!
    Since they are different than what's on the LPB,I guess my question is how do the values of the recovery stage divider resistors affect volume? Would raising the their values (100k from power, 15k from ground) to the LPB's (430k power, 43k ground) make a difference?

"I like the box caps because when I'm done populating the board it looks like a little city....and I'm the Mayor!" - armdnrdy

CynicalMan

Quote from: bluesdevil on July 15, 2009, 03:56:50 PM
After tweaking my Superfuzz build to finally get the sound I really like, I noticed the volume is a bit too low with the scoop setting. I thought I would just do what I always do to remedy such problems and throw a LPB on the end. I then took a closer look at the Superfuzz schematic and realized it already has one tacked on!
    Since they are different than what's on the LPB,I guess my question is how do the values of the recovery stage divider resistors affect volume? Would raising the their values (100k from power, 15k from ground) to the LPB's (430k power, 43k ground) make a difference?

The input resistors on this circuit don't affect the last transistor stage's gain. They only affect transistor bias and input impedance. If you want to increase the stage's gain, try connecting a 10uF capacitor between the emitter and ground.

bluesdevil

Thanks a lot Alex, that put it well over the top! So much in fact that the circuit starts to howl when the volume control is near max.
   Couple of other mods I settled on:
-Putting a .022uf cap from input to ground to simulate (kind of) rolled down tone control on guitar.
-Ditching the toggle switch and just using the scoop setting with a "tone" control to vary amount of scoop. I think Mark Hammer suggested it to someone in another thread.
-Used a 2kL pot  at +9v rail. Helps soften sound if desired and also quells "breathing" when expander is all the way up.
-Used a Darlington in the recovery stage. I may try a regular transistor now that volume is boosted to hear if there's a tonal change.
"I like the box caps because when I'm done populating the board it looks like a little city....and I'm the Mayor!" - armdnrdy