Filtercap, noise, battery (Orange Squeezer)

Started by Soeren_DK, July 16, 2009, 05:41:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Soeren_DK

SPOILER ALERT: NEWBIE QUEASTION

I'm trying to figure out this phenomenon filtercap and noise reducen.
I have build a Orange Squeezer and when its driven by my DC powersupply there is a lot of hum but if I instead but a battery in it its quiet like a baby (when it sleep).
I can recall that I have had this problem with other builds but the noise disappers or that I think when there is not only one pedal on the DC powersupply chain. Does it make sense. I'm not good at english so its a little hard to explain...

Cheers
Soren
...I remember nothing from the accident... DOOH
Check theese pictures

MikeH

My guess would be that there's no DC noise filtering in your OS, which causes the noise.  But when you daisy chain it together with another pedal that has filtering, it's essentially filtering the power on your OS too, because the 9v connections are in parallel. 

Just a guess.
"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH

ayayay!

On the 2 OS's I just built (albeit flawed) I added a 100uF from +9V to ground becuase of this.  The original unit was battery powered so it didn't need that cap.  Mine are silent as can be. 
The people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Soeren_DK

Quote from: MikeH on July 16, 2009, 12:08:34 PM
My guess would be that there's no DC noise filtering in your OS, which causes the noise.  But when you daisy chain it together with another pedal that has filtering, it's essentially filtering the power on your OS too, because the 9v connections are in parallel. 

Just a guess.
That make sense. I don't have a prober power supply but I'm on it. Start building the power supply from tonepad tomorrow -> http://tonepad.com/getFile.asp?id=111.
It got some filtering caps in it.

Quote from: ayayay! on July 16, 2009, 02:41:08 PM
....I added a 100uF from +9V to ground becuase of this....
from +9v to ground, does it mean + on the cap is put on +9V... sorry for the lame queastion. I have some kind of feeling that I should know this kind of info.

Cheers
Soren
Check theese pictures

Hanglow

a small resistor and  cap would be better

have a read of this

http://www.muzique.com/lab/hum.htm

and yes, +ve end of cap foes to +9v

Soeren_DK

Thanks for the helping hands...
It helped. Now its quiet like a sleeping child

Cheers
Soren
Check theese pictures

ayayay!

The people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Cortex

I put a 1000uF across the power rails and that did not help at all with the humming.
I built the OS in a 1590a enclosure, so input and output jack are practicaly touching, ok they are not touching obviously but they are that close, and the DC jack is just besides the input jack. Could that be the problem?
I really love the effect but so far I haven't been able to reduce the hum, and with this much hum it is unusable.