Ross Compressor Vero Layout Verified??

Started by TrentC, July 18, 2009, 06:34:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrentC

Hi guys,
New to forum here. I am working on a Ross compressor and was wondering if this layout has been verified.
http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/Toneys-Album/Rossv4.jpg.html

Thanks!
Trent

frokost

Welcome! And yes, it's verifired. I built that.

TrentC

Thanks Frokost. I appreciate it. did you do the fuzz central mod on it? If so, where do those three resistors go. I'm a little confused with the mod.

frokost

The layout already has the resistors in place. They're in the upper left corner. The 39K goes directly on the switch as shown.

TrentC

Ah I see now. Thanks for the help!
Trent

suregork

I am building one of these right now, and I noticed that the orientation of C13 is wrong. Shouldn't it be the other way around? (C13 is the 1uF capacitor between the two 220k resistors)
Successfully built: Mosfet Boost, Red Llama, Crunch Box, SHO, RM Voodoo Vibe, Fuzz Face, Ross Comp, 9V Electric Mistress, Modded Crybaby

frokost

Wow, you're absolutely right. Nicely spotted! I'll have to replace that one myself then.

frequencycentral

C13 looks correct to me, check out this schematic from GEOFEX, it's the same: http://www.geofex.com/FX_images/rosscomp.gif
http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

suregork

yes, but on the vero layout, the positive leg of c13 goes to ground, while on the geofex, tonepad, and fuzz central schematics the negative leg goes to ground.
Successfully built: Mosfet Boost, Red Llama, Crunch Box, SHO, RM Voodoo Vibe, Fuzz Face, Ross Comp, 9V Electric Mistress, Modded Crybaby

frokost

Yep, suregork is talking about the layout. I built the Ross from this layout by the paint-by-number method back in the day and didn't notice. As far as I can tell now, is that the cap is part of the biasing for the IC. What happens when it's reversed, I still don't know for sure  :icon_redface:. Ripple?

TrentC

Talison

I am also new to this forum.  I have built the Silicon Fuzz Face from a Vero layout, and I have built an Octave Fuzz and Booster from a kit.

My next project is going to build a compressor.  I would like to build the Ross, but I don't want the Fuzz mod.  How would I build the Ross Compressor from the Vero layout above WITHOUT the Fuzz/switch mod?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

jacobyjd

Talison--just to make sure you're clear on what that switch does--it's not really a Fuzz mod (even though the schematic is from the fuzzcentral website). It's an attack control.

If you look up a regular Ross Comp schematic (try tonepad.com), you can find the normal resistor value that goes there if you don't want it. I think it might be a 47k.
Warsaw, Indiana's poetic love rock band: http://www.bellwethermusic.net

Talison

Thanks for the reply!

I am about to show my ignorance, but here it goes... I am planning on building this from the vero layout.  Are there certain resistors I need to leave out and/or change the value?  and if you can be more specific, like R# from the layout.  sorry, I'm still learning how to read schematics.

Talison

maybe I'm just unsure on how to wire the switch.  I grasp wiring R23 across lugs 1 & 3.  Looks like lug #1 also goes to the SW P on the vero, is this right?  Then where do I wire lug 2 & 3 of the switch?  My ignorance is REALLY shining now.  Thanks for any help / input!

stringsthings

Quote from: Talison on June 16, 2010, 03:10:04 PM
maybe I'm just unsure on how to wire the switch.  I grasp wiring R23 across lugs 1 & 3.  Looks like lug #1 also goes to the SW P on the vero, is this right?  Then where do I wire lug 2 & 3 of the switch? 

lug #2 is connected to SW P on the vero and lug #3 is connected to SW on the vero ...

Quote from: Talison on June 16, 2010, 12:53:10 PM
How would I build the Ross Compressor from the Vero layout above WITHOUT the Fuzz/switch mod?

leave out R3 ( 10k ) and solder in R1 ( 150k ) in its place ...

Talison

Thanks for the Help!!!!   This is the best site on the Internet!!!!!  It continues to feed my new addiction!!!!!!!