simple loop to keep fuzz face away from buffers

Started by gutsofgold, July 25, 2009, 03:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gutsofgold

Processaurus

Can anything be achieved with a loop different than putting it first, as far as arranging things so that the FF's are the first electronics the guitar hits?

Making current driven effects like the FF work with buffered pedals came up recently here:
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=77832.0

gutsofgold

well I would like to use the fuzz face live, and I have a buffered tuner. I know that putting a buffered pedal after the fuzz face also causes issues, which makes sense. I just think building a small looper for the fuzz face would save one the headache. I just would like to know if it would work.

zombiwoof

What issues could there be with putting the buffered pedal after the FF?  I've not heard of anything like that.  Kind of difficult to avoid having at least one buffer after the FF if you have a bunch of pedals.

Al

darron

it could work. you could make an enlosure with four jacks in it. one for guitar in, one for amplifier out and two for the loop of your other pedals.

but still, i don't see why you wouldn't just want to run the FF first and the tuner second. i THINK it's more the lack of buffering before FF that makes the difference, and there are simple ways around that too to give a bit of consistency.

hope you like your fuzz face (:
Blood, Sweat & Flux. Pedals made with lasers and real wires!

Processaurus

After your fuzz face the only thing that can interact with is the impedance of the next stage, and putting a buffered pedal (or TB'd pedal that is on) after your fuzz face presents it with a similarly high impedance input to your amp.  Your amp is a buffer, of sorts.

You got me thinking about that problem, but a loop doesn't seem like it helps anything, either the FF being first, or modifying it with a pickup simulator (even something as simple as a series resistor on the input) are solutions to the FF input getting squashed by too much current.

slacker

Quote from: zombiwoof on July 26, 2009, 03:08:30 AM
What issues could there be with putting the buffered pedal after the FF?  I've not heard of anything like that. 

One of my Fuzz Faces sounds slightly thinner and brighter running it into a buffered pedal (Boss DD3 or TU2) compared to just running it straight into the amp. This could just be the effect of the buffer doing its thing and stopping treble loss in the cable between it and the amp and I wouldn't say it was a problem, but there's definitely an audible difference.

Simplest solution is just to run the Fuzz first in the chain though, any small changes caused by buffers after it can probably be got rid of by tweaking your amp's tone controls.

Gus

What is the tuner input resistance spec?  That could change the RC of the output coupling cap and  2nd transistor output resistance and where the volume pot is set(mix of series and shunt resistance).  Maybe try a bigger output cap or use a EF or SF or opamp buffer after the FF to keep the loading the same.

gutsofgold

I guess I could just run the fuzz face first in line... BUT ... what if I also want to run a Rangemaster? This also has a very low impedance input and I've been told it sounds best when it is first in the signal chain. I would never have the RM and the FF on at the same time, so it would not matter if both were true bypass... correct?

darron

Quote from: gutsofgold on August 11, 2009, 07:05:26 PM
I guess I could just run the fuzz face first in line... BUT ... what if I also want to run a Rangemaster? This also has a very low impedance input and I've been told it sounds best when it is first in the signal chain. I would never have the RM and the FF on at the same time, so it would not matter if both were true bypass... correct?

true bypassed it wouldn't matter which was in front of which if you ran one at a time.

i'd think that the two pedals should work well together actually. the rangemaster doesn't give a buffering effect. if you run it before the FF it will give you a higher gain fuzz that leads more towards the sound of a natural overdrive, and after it will give you the usual boost without so much bottom end.
Blood, Sweat & Flux. Pedals made with lasers and real wires!