Transistor Matching Fun

Started by WhenBoredomPeaks, July 25, 2009, 05:57:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhenBoredomPeaks

I had 10 AC125 trannys, so i decided i test their hfe and leak somehow.

I used the article of the FuzzFace from the brilliant Geofex. I breadborded that transistor tester circuit. My 9V was 8,8V and my  resistors were 1-2% off "told" by my (kinda cheap) multimeter. (i created the kinda spot-on values by using one big and one small resistor is series)

According to the article, most of my transistors are quite weak. Well, all of them.

Here's the ones worth mentioning:

(all leaks are uA)

60gain, 160leak
70gain, 200leak
90gain, 300leak x3

The remaining 5 were absolute horrible.

Are the listed ones worth using in a classic Fuzz Face or i shouldn't spent my time building a FF which won't be rewarding?

(then again they are AC125)

WhenBoredomPeaks

I breadboarded this version: http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/fuzzface/fffram.htm

I used two ~~90hfe, 300leak at first, but i didn't liked them.

Then i used a ~60gain, ~160leak at first position and ~70gain, ~200leak in second position.

It sounds better. It sounds way better than my previous unmatched random GE Fuzz Face.

It is almost like an overdrive when i use the bridge PU, with vol knob backed up a bit.

But i still not sure that this is can't get any better. I mean those leaks are not really good and the Geofex site mentions other values for the "best" sound.

Derringer

"Best Sound" is completely subjective.

Play around with the input and output caps, feedback resistor, bias, gain pot size and bypass cap. There's a lot of flexibility in the circuit.

slim_blues_boy

don't throw all your 'leaky' transistors to garbage.
try it first on working circuit, some of them might sound good.
I've tried several transistors that seems to be leaky (leakage from 300uA-800uA), and they sound good in Fuzz Face circuit.
also some old stompbox such as Zonk Machine and Tonebender derivatives need some leaky transistors.