Chiken salad, potentiometer values

Started by fuzzo, July 29, 2009, 09:13:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fuzzo

Hi guys

I've just received a Danelectro chiken salad and I want to rehouse it in a metal box. But I can't read the pot values.

Do you know that ?

I think ( I saw in a webpage) the speed knob is a dual 100KC pot , the trim is 101 (1K ?) but  I don't know the intensity knob.

WLS

Disconnect it and measure the range with a DMM.

Bill
Since I've breadboarded it I can only blame myself.

But It's Just A Chip!

dschwartz

----------------------------------------------------------
Tubes are overrated!!

http://www.simplifieramp.com

fuzzo

R O Tiree

The speed pot is a dual 100k Linear. The intensity pot is a single 50k Linear. The trim pot is a 100R. Yes, it's very low, but it changes the duty cycle of the LFO and is very useful to provide a third control when doing a re-house. You'll find that it's only useful across about 50% of its range, but it means that the pedal has a greater range of sounds available.
...you fritter and waste the hours in an off-hand way...

fuzzo

100K linear for the speed , sure ? I see a pic where a guy put a 100kC (anti-log).

i take note about the intensity and trimpot.

Yeah, I've this little box since this morning and it's really mellow and warm.  apparently the trim pot can add  great tones in playing on LFO , but if it's 100R where I can find a pot with the same value ? (I never see a pot under 1K)

fuzzo

Any more information ?

I don't manage to find a 100R pot (I've some doubts about it, that really exists ? ).

R O Tiree

fuzzo - 100R pots DO exist. The re-house I did was for a friend of mine in USA and he wanted that trimpot as a control. Wasn't easy to find it, and it was chuffin' expensive, because it's such an unusual value for a control pot - quite common for a trim pot, however.

The one I used was this one from Vishay-Sfernice but this one from TYCO is a cheaper option

fuzzo

Ok, that seemed odd for me , I' ve never seen that low values pot. but they exist.

That will be hard to me to find one of them, maybe via Banzai or Musicding (I sent a mail to both) 'cause from farnel the shipping cost must be high, especially just for one of these litlle pot.

thanks for your help, I have to find one to start working on that rehousing.

fuzzo

Well I rehoused it but that doesn't work. The flashing led is always light, any "cycle". Someone has the good wirring of the speed pot. I tried to keep the same that was on PCB but that doesn't work.

R O Tiree

The pot that Danelectro used for the speed pot has a very odd pinout and was obviously custom-made for this pedal.

Hold the original looking down on top of it and with the legs facing you. The pins are, from left to right...

1. wiper pot 1
2. left pot 1
3. left pot 2
4. wiper pot 2
5. right pot 2
6. right pot 1

Now, just trace where those pins go on the PCB and wire up your replacement pot lugs so they match the pinouts I just gave you and it should work.

Lucky I never throw anything away, isn't it? :)

fuzzo

Thanks for your answers.

Actually, after "wiper pot1" the 2 next holes are empty, I mean the legs didn't be solder to the PCB.

Any I'll try that tomorrow.

(I hope I damage anything)

fuzzo

Well I did like you said, nothing change :icon_confused:

R O Tiree

The 2 "right-hand" pins are connected on the PCB. Just to make sure, run one wire from pin 1 to wiper 1, next from pin 4 to wiper 2 and run a wire from either 5 or 6 (doesn't matter) to right pot 2 and then another from right pot 2 to right pot 1.

Make sure there are no solder bridges on the board where you've made your modifications. It's very difficult with those SMD boards.

fuzzo

Hi,

,  I damaged a big cap , the leg of this cap doesn't be solder to the PCB anymore. I can't solder it again because of SMD components. It's too bad, I think my chiken is dead now.

:icon_confused:

R O Tiree

Find the tracks that it's connected to and scrape away a bit of the solder mask carefully do you expose the tinned traces underneath. Carefully solder the cap in place and you're good to go.