Trotsky Drive Help and Mod Ideas

Started by Kearns892, August 03, 2009, 06:06:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ppatchmods

sorry for the vague reference! i used the pcb layout but the values are: r4=680(i use 620) & r3=1m
When your life is over, will any of this STUFF really matter?

Kearns892

Alright, I'll draw up an exact layout of the breadboard tonight, and I think the 1 meg resistor you are referring to is the one discussed in another thread I reviewed when searching for Trotsky debugs, and it isnt part of the original schematic and is only used to prevent popping. Correct me if I am wrong though. 

ppatchmods

it is the pull down resistor so you may not have it on your board.

WhenBoredomPeaks

I have made some measurements of a working Trotsky.

Input V: 9V
Gain pot: 50K at max settting.
Q1: 2N3904

c 2,35v
b 0,7v
e 0,08v

jmwreck

my trotsky build, with a GE and SI clipping switch and a bright switch

Kearns892

Alright,  instead of a picture I used the wonderful DIY layout creator to make a representation of the breadboard layout I am using. Hopefully this will be the easiest way for me to get help.

And Jmwreck, I'm jealous.

jmwreck

Quote from: Kearns892 on August 06, 2009, 10:14:47 AM
Alright,  instead of a picture I used the wonderful DIY layout creator to make a representation of the breadboard layout I am using. Hopefully this will be the easiest way for me to get help.

And Jmwreck, I'm jealous.

what's the difference between 5088, 3904, and 2222?
i haven't tried putting 5088 and 2222, i stick with the 3904, but if there's any good outcome to those transistors, maybe i'll try it..
thanks! build it right now. sound is pretty amazing  ;D

ppatchmods

i might see it wrong, but is .047 connected to 330+330 before it hits the tranny?

jacobyjd

Quote from: ppatchmods on August 06, 2009, 10:32:44 AM
i might see it wrong, but is .047 connected to 330+330 before it hits the tranny?

Nope

Kearns...is your transistor backward?
Warsaw, Indiana's poetic love rock band: http://www.bellwethermusic.net

Kearns892

sorry that is really small. No the .047 cap does not hit the 660s ohm resistor at all goes straight to base and and the 660 ohm to the emitter.

ppatchmods

the grounded end of the 660 combo should go into the open end of the .047. As Jacobyjd said, your trasistor is backwards also. that will probably do it.

jacobyjd

Quote from: ppatchmods on August 06, 2009, 10:49:40 AM
the grounded end of the 660 combo should go into the open end of the .047.

Um, I don't think so...looking @ the schem, the 660R should come straight off the emitter, so that should be ok on the layout.

ppatchmods

you are right about the schematic and i should have gone by that in building mine. i'm going by the pcb and it has the emitter to 660(680) to ground and to 1m(optional) to .047 to base. if you omit the 1m that takes the 660(680) from emitter to ground & .047 & input. i must warn you that i have had some trouble with the pcb, but connecting the 660 to input/.047 has solved it both times.

http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/DRAGONFLY-LAYOUTS_0/album17/distortionpcb/trotsky+pcb.gif.html

try it with out connecting the 2 first. when i had the trouble, i wasn't getting any sound until i connected the 2.

jacobyjd

Quote from: ppatchmods on August 06, 2009, 11:07:07 AM
you are right about the schematic and i should have gone by that in building mine. i'm going by the pcb and it has the emitter to 660(680) to ground and to 1m(optional) to .047 to base. if you omit the 1m that takes the 660(680) from emitter to ground & .047 & input. i must warn you that i have had some trouble with the pcb, but connecting the 660 to input/.047 has solved it both times.

http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/DRAGONFLY-LAYOUTS_0/album17/distortionpcb/trotsky+pcb.gif.html

try it with out connecting the 2 first. when i had the trouble, i wasn't getting any sound until i connected the 2.

Ah, that makes sense...in your case, the 1M pulldown resistor was tied to ground in the same location as the 680R resistor. Really, it just needs to be grounded, and should not be connected to the input without that 1M in between.

Kearns892

sorry, should have been more clear with the transistor. What I was trying to say with the little note on the bottom was I've been trying different transistors and the orientation of the part on the layout didnt actually represent the orientation of the part since each one has a different pin out/ shape. Right now I have the 2N2222 in there and both orientations I get a clean sound, just one way there is a grounding issue.

ppatchmods

try rotating your diodes around. might work. if not, try new diodes.

jacobyjd

Quote from: Kearns892 on August 06, 2009, 11:21:33 AM
sorry, should have been more clear with the transistor. What I was trying to say with the little note on the bottom was I've been trying different transistors and the orientation of the part on the layout didnt actually represent the orientation of the part since each one has a different pin out/ shape. Right now I have the 2N2222 in there and both orientations I get a clean sound, just one way there is a grounding issue.

Ok then--as far as I can tell, you have an issue that we can't figure out by the layout alone. AFAIK, your voltages aren't correct--you should have something at least >0 at the base.

If you can, a picture would help. Otherwise, try reflowing your solder joints and re-check every connection. Also, look for solder bridges or other shorts.

Kearns892

I rotated both diodes and nothing happened, switched the diodes, nothing happened. I think the problem is with the collector and gain knob, the gain knob doesnt seem to be doing anything.

And now I dropped my transistor... This will be fun...

ppatchmods

the schematic says to run the gain knob like you have it, but the pcb has the gain lugs 2&3 going straight to the collector without hitting the 2.2m and .1uf first

Kearns892

Quote from: ppatchmods on August 06, 2009, 11:42:25 AM
the schematic says to run the gain knob like you have it, but the pcb has the gain lugs 2&3 going straight to the collector without hitting the 2.2m and .1uf first

I dont think I follow, do i not have lugs 2+3 going straight to the collector as well as the .1uf cap and 2.2m res?