Tap Tempo Tremolo???

Started by Culley713, August 06, 2009, 02:02:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Culley713

Anyone know of any relatively easy-build tremolo schematics with tap tempo and adjustable wave forms?

Or, would it be possible to throw one of these, http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=795, and a second footswitch to control the tap tempo into a simple GGG EA tremolo?

Thanks

Top Top

I think it would be a lot easier to just put the speed of the tremolo on a rocking footpedal (like a wah) and adjust it to the tempo that you want with your foot. It would also be capable of some other cool effects that a tap tempo would not (ie: adjust speed while playing).

hday

Yeah, I wanted to do something similar with a Trem Lune. I loved the idea of the expression pedal changing the speed in real time, but I wanted to use it as a tap tempo style adjustment too. My idea was to fine tune a 555 timer with an led, so I could compare the expression pedal speed with the stock board speed, so I'd have an idea of the speed before I changed it.

Culley713

yea that would be cool and a lot easier, but I'm building this for someone else, and those are his specifics...

slacker

Quote from: Culley713 on August 06, 2009, 02:02:06 PM
Anyone know of any relatively easy-build tremolo schematics with tap tempo and adjustable wave forms?

I don't think there are any, I haven't seen any DIY tap tempo tremolos at all.

Or, would it be possible to throw one of these, http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=795, and a second footswitch to control the tap tempo into a simple GGG EA tremolo?

You can make a simple choppy square wave trem with one of those by using the square wave output to drive a vactrol or LED/LDR combo and then use the audio circuit of the tremulus lune. You'd need to mess around with it a bit to make a decent trem out of it though, and if you want different wave shapes that would be a lot more work.

The Tone God

There is something in this path coming soon. :icon_twisted:

Andrew

Paul Marossy

Quote from: Top Top on August 06, 2009, 02:06:57 PM
I think it would be a lot easier to just put the speed of the tremolo on a rocking footpedal (like a wah) and adjust it to the tempo that you want with your foot. It would also be capable of some other cool effects that a tap tempo would not (ie: adjust speed while playing).

I thought of that, too. But when you're trying to find the tempo in the middle of a song, it might be pretty obvious to the listener. It's a lot more precise just tapping it in, in time with the beat.

.Mike

There is currently a tap tempo LFO chip being developed by Tom at ElectricDruid.com. There's a topic about it here.

Once it is done, it should be pretty easy to update my VCLFO Tremolo with the new chip.

:)

Mike
If you're not doing it for yourself, it's not DIY. ;)

My effects site: Just one more build... | My website: America's Debate.

JKowalski

If you don't want to learn to program, and you dont want to wait for a pre-programmed chip to hit the market, you could use the MV-1 molten voltage tap tempo chip - it will lock on to your taps and output a square wave in time with them, and it also lets you make it output at different multiples of your tapping.

You can take the square wave and turn it into a triangle, and even a sine, with the right circuits.