Mounting circuits in enclosures o.0

Started by Greeny009, August 08, 2009, 12:16:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Processaurus

Never tried it, but velcro to the backs of pots or to the case sounds like a great improvisational way to get it safe in there.  I like making the board vertical and capturing it between components (like footswitches and some enclosed jacks).  For a while, had a weird way of using heavy solid core copper wire to make loops to either be a kickstand, or stick a jack through, soldered to ground on the board, those can double as something to hook the ground lead of a scope or multimeter on for debugging.  you could solder something like that to the backs of non PCB mount pots too, I guess...

The epoxied standoffs are great too, you want to screw them to the PCB, and then epoxy the whole thing in as one piece temporarily, as then the PCB will always fit on them perfectly, no measuring involved.

All in all, there are a million ways to do it, as long as nothing is loose and rattling, and nothing on the circuit that isn't ground touches the bare metal of the box.  Equally important is that it can be taken out easily when (not if) it doesn't work.  I have lots of pedals that still work after years that were just irresponsibly taped up (so nothing shorts out on the enclosure) and squished into a box, terrible.  Metal standoffs epoxied or screwed through the box are the most reassuring/ professional.  However you plan to do it, it's good to start planning earlier rather than later, like drill holes for standoffs before starting to perf; or solder PCB mount pots/switches on first, and conform the circuit to them; or cut the board to shape if it will be mechanically captured somehow, and keep electricity away from the edge.

Fretts

Quote from: Fretts on October 17, 2009, 06:42:34 PM
Is this how you get such meticulously wired perfboards?

Quote from: frequencycentral on August 08, 2009, 02:09:13 PM
I really dislike 'loose boards'.

My favourite way is to have the pots on the board which solves a lot of problems if the circuit allows for it space-wise:

solderman

Hi
I really enjoy reading all this. It's fun and inspiring to see all different solutions on the same problem that people here has come up with. This gives me hope that we all together can solve the issue with environmental pollution and save the planet as we know it for future generations of stomp box builders to come. ;D
I use a similar technique as Rick, although I use the stomp switch instead of the pots to secure the board to the box. Mainly because I use such small boxes and the boards are small as well. I have seen some one around here that has developed a PCB template for, perfboard I believe, that acommendates both the stomp switch and the in/out jacks on the board ala MXR/Dunlop style. Can't remember where tough but search the forum and you will find it (eventually).
BTW
Here's a link to a site from a guy that has an obsessive compulsion to pedals. A really good and informative page with MP3 compares between different versions of the same pedal, Eg. Fulltone OCD V1-V4 etc and many more.
http://www.pedalarea.com/comparisons.htm

Here is two examples of how I secure the board.

PS. I tryid to "Hwol" to the trim put but they did not answer  ;)
The only bad sounding stomp box is an unbuilt stomp box. ;-)
//Take Care and build with passion

www.soldersound.com
xSolderman@soldersound.com (exlude x to mail)