Tap Tempo Linkage

Started by aziltz, August 09, 2009, 01:36:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aziltz

With all the tap tempo threads going, for tremolo and delay and different methods being developed it got me thinking.

It would be really cool if I could link two effects together with tap tempo on different subdivisions, like a tremolo and a delay for example.  Setting Delay on 3/8"s and Trem to Eighth notes I can get a really cool, teenage wasteland keyboard type tone on the guitar.

Some thoughts on how to do this.

A) Each effect has its own tempo brain, and a common external trigger is used.  Subdivisions set on effect.  <--- easiest?

B) One effect has both the brain and trigger and has an ext output to send the trigger/control output to a second pedals ext. input.  <--- fewest boxes

C) If pedals use the same type of "tap brain" there could be a box with trigger/brain that outputs to more than one effects ext. control.  <--- More Universal, Less Hacking of Effects
OR
A "trigger" pedal containing more than one type of Tap Brain & Multiple outputs Subdivisions for each.  <--- Unlimited Expansion?

With all the tap tempo that was employed with the Tone Core Pedals by Line 6, I don't know why they didnt just add a LINK function with a headphone jack or something small and optional.  This is how I found the Trem/Delay combo, but I have to tap the Tremolo twice as fast as the Echo Park in order to get the sound.   Trem is very hard to tap because there're aren't usually subdivisions.

Anyway just some comments, any thoughts?

JKowalski

I had an idea a while ago, for a LFO control board. Basically, you would have a big board of 8 or so LFOs, full featured, with tap tempo, the ability to sync them with each other, to modulate one with another, to change the shape and duty cycle, etc. and have that one board output into your pedals, which are made with a simple onboard oscillator (for standalone use) and a LFO input jack for external control from the main LFO board.

This is a big project, I am still considering it. But it takes a lot of work, and a willingness to go slightly modular.

I also toyed with the idea you are having, its a sort of stripped down version of my original idea. This could be easily done, I think, with that molten voltage chip. Youll have to look into it more - but I believe it has the ability to accept a trigger input, and output a square wave (for converting to the LFO waveform!) and a trigger wave (for inputting to other pedal's slave lfos!), and a way to easily change the subdivisions of the output vs input!

If you can cook up a simple stable square wave to sine/tri circuit to go along with it, the rest should be easy.

This is all best done with microcontrollers, of course (like the molten voltage chip!)

R.G.

google "synchro-sonic"  and "anderton"
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.