News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Love It!!! My next build!

Started by THOMMO, August 17, 2009, 04:38:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

THOMMO

I've tried the 250 before, but it didn't do anything for me :(. This time it seems to be a different beast :o
It has something different going on, not really obvious, but it's there. Probably just that little bit different to
my other OD's, that it made me take notice. Very cool 8)

Awesome tutorial GM. Easy to follow, very informative.

Jason.
May The Twang Be With You

THOMMO

I tried a couple of different diode options tonight.
For starters I had Ge diodes in. Then tried Si, still sounded sweet. Lastly tried some 3mm red LEDs.
There was a difference in the three but to me it was very subtle. The Ge ones sounded a little "squishier",. If that makes sense!! ;D
Has any one else tried different stuff? I need to get some kind of switch thing happening, so I can switch instantly between options.

Jason.

THOMMO

The Ge diodes have a lot of volume loss compared to the LEDs or the Si ones.
Is this normal? At the moment the red LEDs have the nod.
If anyone else has tried different diodes, let me know what you think.

Jason.

jacobyjd

Quote from: THOMMO on September 10, 2009, 05:42:51 AM
The Ge diodes have a lot of volume loss compared to the LEDs or the Si ones.
Is this normal? At the moment the red LEDs have the nod.
If anyone else has tried different diodes, let me know what you think.

Jason.

Yes, that's normal. Ge diodes have a lower forward voltage, so they clip more, which accounts for the volume loss. Red LEDs require a much higher voltage to conduct, so they clip less.
Warsaw, Indiana's poetic love rock band: http://www.bellwethermusic.net

THOMMO

Ok thanks jacobyjd. Is there a way to combat this? At max volume and max gain, I'm only just getting unity. Which is a shame because I reall like the
sound of the Ge diodes.

Jason.

THOMMO

The Ge volume issue isn't as drastic as I first thought. So I'm gonna stick with them.
Maybe this is where I start getting into the switchable mods :icon_cool:
A 3-way toggle to select Ge, Si or LED.

Away I go to the switch learnin' section ;D

Jason.

THOMMO

I found a push on, push off switch that I had ripped out of sometheng. Wired it up, threw the Si diodes into the circuit,
basically taking an educated guess where I should run a jumper from. Low and behold it worked :D.
So I recorded a demo. The circuit is still on my BB, waiting its turn to be build.

Setup for interest sake was:-Hagstrom Ultra Swede, OD circuit, L6 Guitarport-'68 plexi.

http://www.box.net/shared/hgsez5cpdo

Started at min. gain. Around 2:25 turned up to max gain.
It's quite obvious when I switch from Ge to Si.

Jason

THOMMO

Just an update(if anyone is still reading this thread)!! :icon_biggrin:

I bought an SPST(on-on) switch to replace the other one I had. I've ended up using Ge and Si diodes.
There is seemingly only a very subtle clip with the Si compared to the drive from the 741 itself.

I still love how it sounds, and I'll post a new thread when I finally get it all finished.
I'm no expert but if you have any questions, ask away. :)

Jason.

THOMMO

Another update!!

Well I've spent a lot of time on these clippers and have come to the conclusion that the Si's(to my ears) aren't
doing enough to warrant them being in the circuit. Even when I put them in solo, they aren't  clipping the signal enough to be noticeable.

I actually like the sound of the OP Amp drive, so the switch will Add/Remove the Ge's from the signal.
I guess the signal can't reach the clipping threshold of the Si diodes.

I'll keep on experimenting though!!

Jason.