Charvel active mid boost schematic JE1200

Started by Ice-9, August 17, 2009, 06:30:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ice-9

I was just doing some repairs on my guitar and decided to take out the Active preamp and draw out the schematic in case anyone wants to look at it.
The guitar is a charvel Model 4 and has the jackson JE1200 mid boost preamp in it and can be broken down into 2 main blocks, the first being a buffer stage with the volume pot at the end feeding a mid boost which looks like its altered using a pot as a mixer . When the pot is at one extreme its taking most of the direct signal from the 1st stage but at the other extreme is taking most of the signal from the active filter stage.
there are a couple of points about the circuit that I would also like to ask questions about if anyone would like to chip in with an answer.

Oh and the IC is a LF442CN

The first stage looks like a standard non inverting op amp stage very much like we see in a lot of effects pedals, one thing I'm not sure about with this stage is R7 (why is this resistor there and going to Vb when C4 and R6 are going to ground) in all the circuits i have seen the inverting input usually goes to ground OR Vb through a R/C network. Not both

the second stage again is a non inverting op amp with i think a highpass filter based around C9/R13 followed by a low pass filter based around R14/C10, I am not sure if VR2 is just a mixer/pan pot that in each extreme takes the signal from either the output of the volume pot or from the output of the second stage , or does it introduce some positive feedback to the input of the second stage ?

www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.

slacker

Cool looking circuit.

The first stage is similar to the opamp stage in the RAT. You've got sets of boost going on, R7 going to vb gives a gain of 2 for frequencies up to about 7KHz where the filter made out of R5/C5 starts rolling off the response. C4/R6 then give frequencies over about 2.3KHz a gain of 3.2, so you get a peak in the mid frequencies.
You could connect C4/R6 to vb instead of ground it would work the same.

I simulated the circuit and the Mid boost pot does seem to have an effect on the response so it might be adding some positive feedback. How much effect it has seems to depend on its value, the bigger you make it the less effect it has.

Might be worth building to see what it sounds like.

Ice-9

It's the preamp that is in my guitar, but i think i will breadboard it to see what difference componet values make in the mid boost and see if i can use this filter in some kind of overdrive/dist pedalif it sounds good.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

EARNEST

Dean Razorback V255 w/EMG 81/85 @18V -> Bugera 6262-212
---
DIY projects:
TS clone, in progress http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=78871.0

Ice-9

I breadboarded the preamp using a 4558d opamp instead of rhe one used in the JE1200 , the preamp works fine and the mid control is very much to my liking. I didn't do anymore work to make it a dist/OD effect but a simgle opamp and diode clipping circuit should give good results, or possible a Fet Mu amp section  would give good results.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Ben N

Might make a nice switchable boost in front of a Dist+/OD250 type circuit, as a rhythm/lead kind of thing.
  • SUPPORTER

EARNEST

hm...i am building TS808 now, not sure if i should add similar mod to that pedal, to get EXTRA mid cuts/boosts
Dean Razorback V255 w/EMG 81/85 @18V -> Bugera 6262-212
---
DIY projects:
TS clone, in progress http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=78871.0

thecustomluthiershop

hello, I have a problem with a jackson model 6. The mid boost dont work well and I dont know why.
I think that another owner of the guitar made changes in the preamp.
I can facilitate some pics . Im grateful of help in this email address: info@thecustomluthiershop.es
IMG_0963
IMG_0964
Thank you

Gordo

Quote from: Ice-9 on August 19, 2009, 03:37:53 PM
It's the preamp that is in my guitar, but i think i will breadboard it to see what difference componet values make in the mid boost and see if i can use this filter in some kind of overdrive/dist pedalif it sounds good.

What'd you end up using for VR3 and R2?
Bust the busters
Screw the feeders
Make the healers feel the way I feel...

Ice-9

A little late to reply but R2 is 220K and VR3 is 50k
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

HarryR

Hi everybody,

i'm new here and first of all i wanna
say hello to everybody here  :)

I hope someone reads my request,
although this thread seems to be finished.

I found this thread as i was looking for a midbooster circuit
which i wanna build into my futurly being build guitar.

You see i'm in the stage of planing,
the circuit seems to be what i was looking for.

Maybe it's because i'm from germany ..
i don't understand where those two arrows
with "VB" lead to ....

If someone would be so kind to tell me where they have to be connected to  :)

Greets and thanks in advance

Harry

Thomeeque

Quote from: HarryR on January 10, 2011, 05:41:13 AM
with "VB" lead to ....

Hi Harry, most probably to the R3/R4 joint - source of the VCC/2 reference voltage (analogically to the first stage)..

Good luck, T.
Do you have a technical question? Please don't send private messages, use the FORUM!

Ice-9

Quote from: Thomeeque on January 10, 2011, 06:07:13 AM
Quote from: HarryR on January 10, 2011, 05:41:13 AM
with "VB" lead to ....

Hi Harry, most probably to the R3/R4 joint - source of the VCC/2 reference voltage (analogically to the first stage)..

Good luck, T.

Yes they go to the junction of R3/R4 and provide a bias voltage to the opamps.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

HarryR

Hi,

thanks for the really quick answers.

I compared the circuit to others which are similar,
but i can't see a reason for R3 and R12 ..

Why is the inverting input connected to Vb ?
Does it control the rate of amplification ?
What would happen if they would be left ?

My understanding of a midboost is/would be:

Buffering in first stage with no further amplification (only limiting loss by cable capacities),
then iltering mids ín the second stage with a gain of ~ 20-25dB

Mixing via VR3: pur signal from stage 1 means just buffering
full signal from stage 2 means a boost on mid frequencies + buffering lw and high freqs ...

Sorry for those maybe silly questions,
but before i start to build the circuit i wanna understand (and maybe change) what it does ..

Greets Harry

PS.: I built an excellent buffer with OPA 37GP, does anybody know an opamp with "two OPA 37GP"
in one DIP ?

Thomeeque

Quote from: HarryR on January 12, 2011, 11:04:01 AM
I compared the circuit to others which are similar,
but i can't see a reason for R3 and R12 ..

R7 and R12?

Quote from: HarryR on January 12, 2011, 11:04:01 AM
Why is the inverting input connected to Vb ?
Does it control the rate of amplification ?
What would happen if they would be left ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operational_amplifier_applications#Non-inverting_amplifier

E.g. for the first stage:

R1@WIKI = R7 || (XC4 + R6)
R2@WIKI = R5 || XC5

T.
Do you have a technical question? Please don't send private messages, use the FORUM!

Thomeeque

Btw. whole circuit could be beautifully emulated by LTSipce emulator (AC analysis)..

HarryR

Man (and women) you are so quick  :)

Sorry, R7 and R12 ...

I will follow the links, thanks for the answers ..

Any suggestion for the opamp ?

Greets
Harry

Ice-9

Oh sorry, I never realized that I didn't label the opamp when I originally drew the schematic. I remember it was a low power consumtion opamp (can't remember the code something like a 2262) but anything like a 4558 or Tl072 will suffice. I will check my guitar when i get home for proper chip identification.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Ice-9

I've just looked back at my original post and although i didnt mark the chip on the schematic i have named it in the text of the message

"Oh and the IC is a LF442CN"
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

aron

Cool! I missed this. I have a model 4 - Charvel. I need to check if this is the same preamp. If so, thanks!!!! It will help me with fixing some problems it has.