A/B/Y Build help!

Started by stratomaster15, August 18, 2009, 10:33:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stratomaster15

Hi everyone! I have recently built an A/B/Y switch using the schematic shown below. The pedal works and so do the lights, but it can create unwanted hissing with the amps when in use or not. I don't use anything high gain, but I think the pedal might not be grounded. Help? Thanks!!

P.S. I'm a newbie to pedal building so putting it in the simplest way would help :P and any other tips help. Thanks again!

trixdropd

Quote from: stratomaster15 on August 18, 2009, 10:33:05 PM
Hi everyone! I have recently built an A/B/Y switch using the schematic shown below. The pedal works and so do the lights, but it can create unwanted hissing with the amps when in use or not. I don't use anything high gain, but I think the pedal might not be grounded. Help? Thanks!!

P.S. I'm a newbie to pedal building so putting it in the simplest way would help :P and any other tips help. Thanks again!
You probably have a ground loop. Most of the time, with an a/b/y box you need to isolate the ground on 1 channel with a transformer.

Al Heeley

I always use a 3pdt footswitch for the A/B switch, then you can X-ground the unused channel and keep it quieter.

stratomaster15

Hmm... A transformer seems complicated, but using the 3DPT switch doesn't. I know it has nine "terminals" instead of the six i use, so how would I go about wiring and grounding it? Thanks!

stratomaster15

....Can ANYBODY help me with the 3DPT switch wiring? This is sort of important and I'm just a newbie pedal maker! :-\