Cable retainer - where to find?

Started by pedaltothemetal, August 19, 2009, 03:53:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pedaltothemetal

Hey guys,

Does anyone know where to get the part used on the M13 for the cable retainer?

http://www.line6.com/m13/specs.html

Failing that, suggestions for similar items performing the same function, except P-Clips because those are ubiquitous.

pedaltothemetal

Bumpedy bump

I hope this isn't a custom part. I wouldn't think so...

pedaltothemetal

Nobody has ever seen something like this in all their pedal building days? ;)

Naz Nomad

Despite being ubiquitous, what's wrong with 2 P-clips on the same screw?
... riding a Lissajous curve to oblivion.

pedaltothemetal

Quote from: Naz Nomad on August 23, 2009, 09:14:46 AM
Despite being ubiquitous, what's wrong with 2 P-clips on the same screw?

This system is just easier to quickly plug in, secure and later unplug for storage.

markeebee

pedaltothemetal

Quote from: markeebee on August 23, 2009, 04:54:24 PM
String tree?

No, it's a cable retainer for the power cord. But I have searched for it using various terms like tree as well. Unfortunately, haven't found it yet.

markeebee

Quote from: pedaltothemetal on August 19, 2009, 03:53:02 PM

Failing that, suggestions for similar items performing the same function, except P-Clips because those are ubiquitous.

Sorry, thought you might be able to use a big string tree to perform the same function......

pedaltothemetal

Quote from: markeebee on August 23, 2009, 05:16:55 PM
Quote from: pedaltothemetal on August 19, 2009, 03:53:02 PM

Sorry, thought you might be able to use a big string tree to perform the same function......

Thanks for the suggestion. I can't though because I'm after a professional appearance.

The Tone God

I'm pretty sure that is a custom made part. You might be able to get one from Line6 if you hit up their service people.

Other options include screw/washer combo, liquid tight sealing grommet, snap in wire saddles, or even stick on cable clamps. Depends on the hole size, wire size, the need for accessibility, and other factors.

Andrew

pedaltothemetal

Quote from: The Tone God on August 23, 2009, 10:24:35 PM
I'm pretty sure that is a custom made part. You might be able to get one from Line6 if you hit up their service people.

Other options include screw/washer combo, liquid tight sealing grommet, snap in wire saddles, or even stick on cable clamps. Depends on the hole size, wire size, the need for accessibility, and other factors.

Andrew

I kinda doubt it's a custom made part. Why would they go through that much trouble when cable retainers are so common that there are all kinds of different ones out there. I just haven't found this one yet... I suspect it's because everybody calls them something different.

Thanks for taking the time to come up with extra suggestions. I just can't settle for any jerry-rigged solutions, though.

iaresee

FWIW I've got one on my Lexicon R1. So that puts some more hope behind it being a non-custom part. Have you considered calling on some enclosure manufacturers in your area? People who do prototyping and small run stuff? They might have a line on them.

pedaltothemetal

Quote from: iaresee on August 23, 2009, 10:52:58 PM
FWIW I've got one on my Lexicon R1. So that puts some more hope behind it being a non-custom part. Have you considered calling on some enclosure manufacturers in your area? People who do prototyping and small run stuff? They might have a line on them.

Cool, if I could find the service manual of the Lexicon R1 it would probably tell me what it is then, I bet.

I think I'd be able to find it quicker if I stay off the phone and stick to the internet. :)

pedaltothemetal

Well, wouldn't ya know it, I found the service manual for the Lexicon, but they completely leave out the cable retainer part.

The Tone God

Quote from: pedaltothemetal on August 23, 2009, 10:31:28 PM
I kinda doubt it's a custom made part. Why would they go through that much trouble when cable retainers are so common that there are all kinds of different ones out there. I just haven't found this one yet... I suspect it's because everybody calls them something different.

Thanks for taking the time to come up with extra suggestions. I just can't settle for any jerry-rigged solutions, though.

I'm not saying this a specialized part meaning a part who's function or base design is unique. I am suggesting the physical design is probably built to Line6's specifications which maybe unique in screw size, material, clamp size, clamp strength, etc. or combination thereof. For a company like Line6 who is already having many of their parts custom made like cases, footswitches, knobs, displays, etc. a cable clamp would be nothing. I suspect this most so due to the pair of locating pins on the shaft collar. Those look fairly specific.

I still think the best bet is to hit up Line6. This thing should be under warranty and there is nothing particularly special in cost or labour with that part that they should not be able to send you one. If they give you a run around try to order through a local dealer. They should be able to get parts from Line6.

Andrew

pedaltothemetal

Quote from: The Tone God on August 23, 2009, 11:25:00 PM
Quote from: pedaltothemetal on August 23, 2009, 10:31:28 PM

I'm not saying this a specialized part meaning a part who's function or base design is unique. I am suggesting the physical design is probably built to Line6's specifications which maybe unique in screw size, material, clamp size, clamp strength, etc. or combination thereof. For a company like Line6 who is already having many of their parts custom made like cases, footswitches, knobs, displays, etc. a cable clamp would be nothing. I suspect this most so due to the pair of locating pins on the shaft collar. Those look fairly specific.

I still think the best bet is to hit up Line6. This thing should be under warranty and there is nothing particularly special in cost or labour with that part that they should not be able to send you one. If they give you a run around try to order through a local dealer. They should be able to get parts from Line6.

Andrew

But as the guy above said, the same part is on the Lexicon MPX R1 and I verified that by looking them up. Engineers always avoid designing and sending to manufacturing parts which don't need to be custom made. But the thing is, I don't want just one of them, so hitting up support is out of the question.

The Tone God

Quote from: pedaltothemetal on August 23, 2009, 11:28:27 PM
But as the guy above said, the same part is on the Lexicon MPX R1 and I verified that by looking them up. Engineers always avoid designing and sending to manufacturing parts which don't need to be custom made. But the thing is, I don't want just one of them, so hitting up support is out of the question.

How many do you want ?

Andrew

pedaltothemetal

Quote from: The Tone God on August 24, 2009, 12:56:36 AM
Quote from: pedaltothemetal on August 23, 2009, 11:28:27 PM

How many do you want ?

Andrew

Let's put it this way... I need a supplier of these, but I'm not going to have them manufactured myself.

iaresee

Call Lexicon. They were super helpful giving me the precise switch manufacturer and switch model they use on the R1 (I need to replace them). I also recall having that same cord lock on my Boss GT-6 unit. They're handy indeed.

Or start Googling "enclosure manufacturers" and call them. First hit I got: http://www.enclosuremanufacturers.com/

jonfoote

grating clamps are similar but made of metal