Jacks grounding

Started by tomtom, September 26, 2003, 07:47:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomtom

Just a silly question, I use some sort of star grounding for effects were nodes (read: group of earth points) where connected to one point of the circuit (power capacitors ground). The Jacks are isolated each ground are connected to their earth point (input and output).

That's mainly for big effects or tube stuff, so I wonder how you connect yours jacks grounding points (some old EH stuff do not solder anything to the output jack ground, maybe using chassis as a ground plate) and if you use to wire the box (aluminium hammond) to the circuit ground (like a shielded cable).

Thanks.
 Tom. :roll:

aron

QuoteThat's mainly for big effects or tube stuff, so I wonder how you connect yours jacks grounding points (some old EH stuff do not solder anything to the output jack ground

I aways solder to the jack ground tabs. I know you can get away with not doing it and using the box as a ground directly - but I've seen the jacks get loose too many times to depend on that.

tomtom

Thanks Aron

I was wondering about using one wire from the board to both jacks, it seems easier to wire but that's a ground loop (bad !).
 Does "boutique" (or whatever names that fit) and "big diyers" use one wire from board to ground (lot less wire, more if you use that wire for pots grounding lugs) ?

aron

Quote from: tomtomThanks Aron

I was wondering about using one wire from the board to both jacks, it seems easier to wire but that's a ground loop (bad !).
 Does "boutique" (or whatever names that fit) and "big diyers" use one wire from board to ground (lot less wire, more if you use that wire for pots grounding lugs) ?

They might use two wires; one for each jack.

The currents are so low that I don't think the loop affects the pedal.

tomtom

Andy

I posted this topic the other day.  Read the posts.  it might give you some ideas.

http://diystompboxes.com/sboxforum/viewtopic.php?t=766
Andy

tomtom