3PDT for a DPDT

Started by Rawkgod, August 24, 2009, 08:39:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rawkgod

Hey guys, a few weeks back I order a lot of things from small bear. Not a big project, dano's loop with bypass, probably the easiest pedal out there. Well there are a few variations on the schematic, but one that doesn't use energy caught my eye after I bought the stuff for the ones with an led, but then realized that there is a power free option.  :icon_redface: So now, I only have 3pdt switches, but no DpDt switches. I know a little bit about switches (i.e. DPDT = double pole double throw. and how they work.)But the question is: Can I use a 3pdt switch with out using the poles on the right?
Quote from: bioroids
Lol I think the only thing the Coca Cola doesn't do well is to relieve thirst!

Taylor

Yes. A 3PDT is just 3 SPDT switches in one, so the three columns are completely separate. You can leave out any column you want, but I find it easiest to use the 2 outer columns and leave the middle unused.

JKowalski

Shame on you two for wasting $5-8 3PDTs on $2 DPDT applications!!!!!  :icon_sad:

Taylor

At quantities of 100, they're exactly the same price...

Rawkgod

Quote from: JKowalski on August 24, 2009, 09:15:13 PM
Shame on you two for wasting $5-8 3PDTs on $2 DPDT applications!!!!!  :icon_sad:
I know! But I am just going to breadboard it for the moment.

Rawkgod

Quote from: Taylor on August 24, 2009, 08:56:26 PM
Yes. A 3PDT is just 3 SPDT switches in one, so the three columns are completely separate. You can leave out any column you want, but I find it easiest to use the 2 outer columns and leave the middle unused.

thanks, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something I'd regret.

Taylor

Wait, where are you getting $2 DPDTs? Are we not talking about footswitches here?

JKowalski

Quote from: Taylor on August 24, 2009, 09:35:39 PM

Wait, where are you getting $2 DPDTs? Are we not talking about footswitches here?

Right here:

http://www.effectsconnection.com/oscommerce/product_info.php?cPath=1&products_id=29

Effects Connection have the best prices on footswitches anywhere. $4 3PDT too, I have to admit.  :icon_biggrin: The $0.50-60 DC jacks are nice, too.

I usually use:

Mouser for components
Effects Connection for switches/jacks/enclosures
Futurlec for weird parts+pots
eBay for assortment packs + large items (transformers, etc)

Taylor

Quote from: JKowalski on August 25, 2009, 12:51:16 AM
Right here:

http://www.effectsconnection.com/oscommerce/product_info.php?cPath=1&products_id=29

Effects Connection have the best prices on footswitches anywhere. $4 3PDT too, I have to admit.  :icon_biggrin: The $0.50-60 DC jacks are nice, too.

The only thing is that they don't do quantity discount, so buying 100 is actually cheaper from Small Bear than anywhere else. I haven't used the X-Wings, but always heard they are unreliable.

Rawkgod

Amazing, I've never seen such cheap products!
How is the shipping for the Effects Connection?

Taylor

I think I bought some Pt2399s from them, before I found out Tayda has them for 54 CENTS!

Ahem. I'm pretty sure they're in the US, so, though I don't remember, I imagine they ship relatively quickly. Not as quick as Mouser; it might be a week. Same shipping price as anybody, I'm sure.

They don't ship chips in any kind of anti-static bag or sleeve, though, so points off there.

mtloeber

I'm going to be doing something similar to the OP for one of my builds.  Being a noob I wanted to verify the layout of my 3pdt switch.

Can I assume that the label of the switch (ROHS) is the top and longer side of the switch so the layout would be:

1 - 2 - 3
4 - 5 - 6
7 - 8 - 9

StereoKills

Pedal Parts Plus also has $4 3pdt stomp switches - Cliff brand.
"Sometimes it takes a thousand notes to make one sound"

aron

Don't be cheap support the forum. Order from the store :-)

littlephil

Quote from: mtloeber on February 04, 2010, 11:05:41 PM
I'm going to be doing something similar to the OP for one of my builds.  Being a noob I wanted to verify the layout of my 3pdt switch.

Can I assume that the label of the switch (ROHS) is the top and longer side of the switch so the layout would be:

1 - 2 - 3
4 - 5 - 6
7 - 8 - 9

There is no 'top' to a 3PDT as such, but you want it positioned so the lugs are horizontal, with the longer side 'up' when looking at it from above. Either way it can be positioned like this will work.

bumblebee

x wings are completely unreliable, I have had intermitent switching only after a few wekks use so I just bought 3PDT's from the store here and replaced them all.