tip for recycling old electronics

Started by tempus, August 26, 2009, 06:17:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tempus

Hey all;

Unfortunately the last thread about using old electronics erupted into something of a flame war, but I wanted to make a suggestion for those who are desoldering things. Lose the braid and get one of those vacuum pump soldering irons. I got one from RadioShack and it has an iron with a suction bulb attached to it. Once it's heated up, you can yank stuff off boards in seconds.

Minion

What I have been doing lately for desoldering Lots of components at once is use a Blow torch to quickly heat the solder side of the board till you see the solder melt then smack the board on something and the components fall out .....
Go to bed with itchy Bum , wake up with stinky finger !!

Vince_b

Quoteuse a Blow torch to quickly heat the solder side of the board
I'm not sure it's a very good way... You can damage heat sensitive components.

Brymus

Quote from: Minion on August 26, 2009, 07:52:58 PM
What I have been doing lately for desoldering Lots of components at once is use a Blow torch to quickly heat the solder side of the board till you see the solder melt then smack the board on something and the components fall out .....
You could always use a grinder and grind away one side of the board too,solder joints and all  :icon_lol:
I'm no EE or even a tech,just a monkey with a soldering iron that can read,and follow instructions. ;D
My now defunct band http://www.facebook.com/TheZedLeppelinExperience

Kearns892

whoa, a lot of these seem kind of extreme