Almost embarrassed to say, I've never done the Millenium Bypass. Does it pop?

Started by skiraly017, August 29, 2009, 06:58:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skiraly017

In all the time I've been building I've never used the Millenium Bypass but came across what I think is a version of it in a Xotic RC Booster (using a BS250). The switching is the quietest I've ever heard, so is the Millenium Bypass the cure for the dreaded true bypass pop? I'm going to feel really bad if the answer was in front of me the whole time.  :icon_razz:
"Why do things that happen to stupid people keep happening to me?" - Homer Simpson

R.G.

The Millenium Bypass is a cure for 3PDT switches.  :icon_biggrin:

It is no better or worse than other circuits which turn an LED on and off in those terms, excepting that the Millenium 2 may have a softer turn on than other switches because of the slow charge/discharge of the gate of the MOSFET. That **could be** slowed ever further by attaching a polystyrene or teflon cap across the gate/source of the Millenium 2 MOSFET.

But while the Millenium bypass won't cure popping, neither will it cause it. It's like asking "will giving a fish a bicycle cure its hiccuping?"  :icon_lol:
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

skiraly017

"Why do things that happen to stupid people keep happening to me?" - Homer Simpson

Taylor

Yeah, everyone knows the cure for fish hiccups is better-matched JFETs.

Naz Nomad

"Almost embarrassed to say ..."

Don't be, I'm not ... I can't even spell Milemmnimun, let alone be bothered to build it. ;D
... riding a Lissajous curve to oblivion.

JKowalski

Quote from: R.G. on August 29, 2009, 07:20:55 PM
But while the Millenium bypass won't cure popping, neither will it cause it. It's like asking "will giving a fish a bicycle cure its hiccuping?"  :icon_lol:

Quote from: R.G. on August 29, 2009, 07:20:55 PMThis is somewhat like saying "Would a fish prefer a bicycle or a tricycle?".

Why are you so fixated on fishes and bicycles, RG?  :icon_lol:

R.G.

Quote from: JKowalski on August 29, 2009, 08:45:30 PM
Why are you so fixated on fishes and bicycles, RG?  :icon_lol:
Like all good fixations, this comes from an event in my formative years.

When I was young, there was this young lady that I thought was really. really. really. good looking. I was truly having an explosion of juvenile hormones. I found that she worked at an auto parts store - wow! even better! She could say "carburetor" and know what it meant. So I arranged to accidentally on purpose bump into her at the car parts place one Saturday. Imagine my feelings when she came up to the counter from the back wearing a T-shirt which said, and I quote from memory:

QuoteA woman needs a man
Like a fish needs a bicycle.

:icon_eek:

sob... I never really got over that...  :icon_lol:
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

oldschoolanalog

Quote from: Naz Nomad on August 29, 2009, 08:32:01 PM
...I can't even spell Milemmnimun, let alone be bothered to build it. ;D
Ya no dere iz a spel chek funktshun. :D
Quote from: R.G. on August 29, 2009, 09:42:11 PM
QuoteA woman needs a man
That's the first time I've read that. Now I don't think I'll ever get over it.
Talk about a "kick in the teeth" reality check. :o
Dave
Mystery lounge. No tables, chairs or waiters here. In fact, we're all quite alone.

Naz Nomad

... riding a Lissajous curve to oblivion.

Ice-9

Quote from: R.G. on August 29, 2009, 09:42:11 PM
Quote from: JKowalski on August 29, 2009, 08:45:30 PM

QuoteA woman needs a man

Maybe she just hadn't met the right man at that time, I was waiting for the "I ended up getting married to her" happy ending there ??
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.

cheeborger

Quote from: skiraly017 on August 29, 2009, 06:58:50 PM
In all the time I've been building I've never used the Millenium Bypass but came across what I think is a version of it in a Xotic RC Booster (using a BS250). The switching is the quietest I've ever heard, so is the Millenium Bypass the cure for the dreaded true bypass pop? I'm going to feel really bad if the answer was in front of me the whole time.  :icon_razz:

This first showed up on the scene in the Fulltone OCD, copied by Xotic much later on. It's not a Mil Bypass, it's true bypass (hence the 3PDT) with a ingenious little circuit that slowly charges-up the LED to avoid the "pop."
I wondered for the longest time why Fuller had a BS250 FET connected to the LED!

R.G.

Quote from: cheeborger on September 17, 2009, 04:42:56 PM
It's not a Mil Bypass, it's true bypass (hence the 3PDT)
Don't get led astray by 3PDTs. The Millenium Bypass *is* a 100% true bypass, by any definition of the term. The input and output of the effect are completely disconnected from the signal path when it's bypassed. So the statement "it's not a Millenium bypass, it's true bypass" is incorrect in its implications.
R.G.

skiraly017

Quote from: cheeborger on September 17, 2009, 04:42:56 PM
Quote from: skiraly017 on August 29, 2009, 06:58:50 PM

This first showed up on the scene in the Fulltone OCD, copied by Xotic much later on. It's not a Mil Bypass, it's true bypass (hence the 3PDT) with a ingenious little circuit that slowly charges-up the LED to avoid the "pop."
I wondered for the longest time why Fuller had a BS250 FET connected to the LED!

Like this?