Stereo Bypass Loops

Started by aziltz, September 01, 2009, 08:16:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aziltz

How would you do Stereo Bypass Loops?

The most cut and dry way I can think of is to use a 4PDT, however I'm concerned about reliability.

Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Processaurus

Stereo Clintonian Bypass, using a 3pdt? Or a similar deal with the footswitch common going to the output, one throw to the input jack, the other to the effect output, and a 4053 analog switch between the input jack and the effect input (using the other throw on the 4053 to ground the effect input in bypass), would work as well as a mechanical switch, because off, or even if there's no power, bypass is still almost true, as the 4053's off resistance is in many megaohms.

The clintonian bypass is interesting, you get all of the peace of mind of true bypass (as far as debugging a pedalboard, and knowing the bypass not having to go through anything but wire), and the electronic switching is only in the signal path when the effect is on.  Off, the resistance is so high that it isn't a factor in loading the input jack.

You'd use one pole on the footswitch for each of the channels' bypass, and the 3rd to light an LED and control the 4053 or whatever.

Either that, relays, or a 4PDT double millenium type bypass.

aziltz

thanks for the info.  i think i might pass on this project.  it doesn't sound like too much fun.

earthtonesaudio

A couple of 4053s would be my choice.  Actually if you used two 4053s you could switch 3 separate channels simultaneously.