increasing treble and output of fuzz face clone

Started by majornoob, September 01, 2009, 10:49:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

majornoob

hey i am new to building effects and so I built a fuzz face as an easy second project.
I finished the pedal and it sounds great, but I am unhappy with the amount of bass boost it adds. Is there some resistor value that I can change to give me a bit better treble?
The schematic I used is here at the top. http://fuzzcentral.ssguitar.com/fuzzface.php
I also added the mod stuff he uses in his schematic at the bottom.

My other question is about output volume. If I don't turn the volume up to about 3 o'clock or higher I lose volume when the pedal is engaged. I have checked the bias and it is right around 5.0.
Is this normal with a fuzz face or is something wrong with the pedal? Could this also have something to do with the bass boost?

Thanks for your help!

John Lyons

To get more volume increase the 470R (top middle) resistor to 1K or 1K2.
To get more treble  (less bass). make the output cap (.01) smaller.
But before you do that. What value vol pot are you using?
This will have an effect on your bass/treble.

John

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

majornoob

tatter

Changing the volume pot to 250k or 100k would reduce the bass content also

earthtonesaudio

liquids

Quote from: earthtonesaudio on September 04, 2009, 09:14:48 AM
Take the output closer to the collector.

Yeah, like earthtones said...and along the lines of what John said.

The 'problem' on the fuzz face reaching little over unity is not so much the pot, but where the output is tapped.

An easy thing to do, if you already have a board all soldered up, is replace the 470R resistor with 3.3k, and the 8.2k with a 5.6k.  This will keeping the bias almost exactly the same.  You should get way more output.

If somehow that is still not enough output, just swap the position of the two resistors, and you'll get even more output volume range...without touching the volume pot.
Breadboard it!

John Lyons

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

Yorick

I know it's 8(!) years ago since the last post.  ;D
I changed my resistors to a 3.3k and a 5.1k (didn't have a 5.6k)
It completely changed the (diy) pedal completely! Opened it up way more and now I have way more headroom with my volume!
Thanks!