Sound City Wah Face fix

Started by BDuguay, September 02, 2009, 07:33:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BDuguay

I have one of these suckers and it's currently acting like a volume pedal. Through my internetting last night I was directed to R.G.'s 'technology of the Wah' where it suggested the 4.7mf cap could need changing.
I tired that but no go.
Any other suggestions? Also, this may be a dumb question but, should I not get continuity when measuring the inductor?
Thanks everyone.
B.

Paul Marossy

My guess would be a bad inductor if you already tried the 4.7uF cap. You should get continuity if you check across the inductor as the resistance of the coil is pretty low - IIRC, it's something like 100-200 ohms. If you don't get anything, then it's probably faulty.

BDuguay

That's what I figured but I thought I'd ask first to be sure.
It's a Fasel inductor too so, it doesn't look like it can repaired. Or can they?
Thanks Paul!

Paul Marossy

Quote from: BDuguay on September 02, 2009, 11:17:56 AM
That's what I figured but I thought I'd ask first to be sure.
It's a Fasel inductor too so, it doesn't look like it can repaired. Or can they?
Thanks Paul!

If it's something like the tiny wire broke off of the post, you can sometimes scrape off some of the coating on the wires and solder it back together, but it's a real pain to do it successfully. On the Fasel, I think it would be really tough to pull it off, but I have done it on the more conventional inductors (like the "stack of dimes" type).