enclosure drilling layout software?

Started by bassmannate, September 02, 2009, 04:21:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bassmannate

I realize that this may be a bit more than what I need, but what does everyone use to create drilling layouts? Preferably a software solution? I've got a raco box that I need to drill and it would be nice if I could plan the holes on the computer instead of printing a template out and hand positioning stuff. The last enclosure I drilled I did this way and it turned out like crap because I don't have the greatest eye and I don't have the patience to pull out measuring tools and get everything straight  :icon_razz:

jacobyjd

Quote from: bassmannate on September 02, 2009, 04:21:03 PM
I realize that this may be a bit more than what I need, but what does everyone use to create drilling layouts? Preferably a software solution? I've got a raco box that I need to drill and it would be nice if I could plan the holes on the computer instead of printing a template out and hand positioning stuff. The last enclosure I drilled I did this way and it turned out like crap because I don't have the greatest eye and I don't have the patience to pull out measuring tools and get everything straight  :icon_razz:

Then FIND the patience!  :icon_biggrin:

I use hand measuring tools for all my controls layouts--there's nothing better. I've tried paper templates and had problems with them. I maintain that there's nothing better for a one-off builder than a good ruler and a pencil.

I usually plan everything out on 1/4" graph paper.

The only thing better (without going with a cad design and a machinist) is to hand-measure, then drill a jig for your pilot holes, like John Lyons does. Since my holes always go in different places, a jig doesn't do me much good.
Warsaw, Indiana's poetic love rock band: http://www.bellwethermusic.net

bassmannate

Well, crap. I never thought of graph paper. Probably because I haven't seen it since middle school.  :icon_lol: That would be a great idea though. I could just trace my raco lid onto that and use the grid to get everything straight. Cut it out, tape it down and drill. Shouldn't be too hard.

Thanks for the suggestion!

By the way, is the stuff you can find at office stores usually 1/4" increments?

appliancide

I use graph paper as well. The stuff I have is 1/8". I'm sure you can find metric as well.

jacobyjd

Quote from: bassmannate on September 02, 2009, 04:31:25 PM
Well, crap. I never thought of graph paper. Probably because I haven't seen it since middle school.  :icon_lol: That would be a great idea though. I could just trace my raco lid onto that and use the grid to get everything straight. Cut it out, tape it down and drill. Shouldn't be too hard.

Thanks for the suggestion!

By the way, is the stuff you can find at office stores usually 1/4" increments?

Yeah, I think so. I picked mine up at walmart...basically just a standard spiral-bound w/ graph paper.

One thing to keep in mind is the volume of each component. Before you commit your design to metal, measure the depth of everything. I also try to make templates of larger items, like PCBs, so I can lay them into the outline of the enclosure.

Lately, I've been laying controls for larger projects out in parabolic curves. Once i know what areas I can place controls in, I can get creative with how I use it. It makes for a unique and finished project.

Also, don't be afraid to draw gridlines on the box itself. I don't mean graph the whole thing, but...you can easily see at a glance if your parts are in the right spots in reference to each other with this trick before you actually drill some holes :)

The best part about this method is that it's CHEAP!   :icon_cool:

bassmannate

Started looking around and I just found a knee pad of graph paper sitting on an office shelf. Measured it and it's 1/4". It'll be nice to have a known scale to work with!

jacobyjd

Bonus!

It's definitely nice to know at a glance how far your various components are from each other.

I know I take to grids very well...something about playing lots of tabletop RPGs....don't ask  :icon_redface:

edvard

Free printable graph paper in any increment you want:
http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/

The best free CAD software for Windows:
http://www.doublecad.com/Products/DoubleCADXT/tabid/1100/Default.aspx

The best free CAD software for Linux:
http://www.qcad.org/

That oughta hold you for a while...  :icon_twisted:
All children left unattended will be given a mocha and a puppy

David

I created layout templates for RACO box covers using Front Panel Designer.  My hope was that I could iron these on to the box covers, but this doesn't seem to work too well.  Might have something to do with the galvanized coating over steel.  I have decent luck printing the template onto a translucent adhesive label, which then goes on the cover.  The bad part about this is that the label gets chewed up around the drill holes.

bassmannate

Thanks for the heads up on the cad programs. I may play around with QCAD sometime since I'm running Linux.

And, David, I had thought about doing an adhesive type of layout to decorate with but then I can't do a sparkly/metallic finish at all. Not to mention that I don't know what would happen with adhesion to zinc.

aziltz

i make drilling templates for Pedal Parts Plus and others using Google Sketchup.

It makes measurements really easy to indicate.

edvard

Quote from: bassmannate on September 03, 2009, 06:34:47 PM
Thanks for the heads up on the cad programs. I may play around with QCAD sometime since I'm running Linux.

Me too!
Qcad is very capable. If you've ever used cad programs before, it's a little different but not hard to learn.
Read the documentation first, it's actually pretty good:
http://www.qcad.org/qcad/manual_reference.pdf

nosamiam

I use Inkscape for mac (it's available for PC too). Freeware, fully featured vector-drawing program. I highly recommend it. It's good because you can do your PCB layout, artwork, and drilling template all in the same application. You just build it up in layers, one layer for each. You can get extremely precise with your measurements.

It's not 3D but you can do the sides of the box by "unfolding" them, basically lifting the sides so you can see them from the top view. When you're done you just make all the layers invisible except your template, print it up, tape it to your enclosure, and drill.

bassmannate

I have thought about vector programs but I don't have much experience with them. I'm assuming that you can scale it all to a specific size? I'm in Ubuntu so I could use it. I've seen it in the repositories.

nosamiam

I didn't have any experience either when I started. I just started messing around and figured things out. I'm still figuring it out as I go and if I had to do something besides stompboxes, I'd probably be totally lost. Every once in a while I get stuck on something but eventually I figure it out.

There are tutorials that can be helpful. There is a learning curve but it can be overcome pretty quickly. Undo is your best friend ;)

edvard

Sorry for the thread resurrection, but I have note that Hammond has DWG and PDF files of their boxes, which makes things much easier.
The DWG's work for the cad programs and Inkscape can import the PDFs.
If you're using QCad on Linux, you have to convert to DXF, but that's easily done with EveryDWG from the Open Design Alliance: http://www.opendesign.com/guestfiles
It's a Windows program, but it works just fine under Wine.

HTH

Hides-His-Eyes

imperial graph paper!

For some reason it never occurred to me such a thing would exist, when science is done in metric :)

I quite fancy the graph paper method myself actually.