Jurgen Haible's Son of Stormtide flanger demo!

Started by StephenGiles, September 11, 2009, 04:44:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StephenGiles

"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

Nitefly182

Sounds sweet. I bet you could pull it off as a stompbox but I have had really bad luck jamming designs meant for modular synths into pedals. The power supplies always caused so much noise and ticking. Any idea if this can be powered with more typical stompbox supplies?

oldschoolanalog

Mystery lounge. No tables, chairs or waiters here. In fact, we're all quite alone.

StephenGiles

Quote from: Nitefly182 on September 11, 2009, 04:58:26 PM
Sounds sweet. I bet you could pull it off as a stompbox but I have had really bad luck jamming designs meant for modular synths into pedals. The power supplies always caused so much noise and ticking. Any idea if this can be powered with more typical stompbox supplies?

I should think that it's far better as a rackmount unit with the proper power supplies.
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

StephenGiles

StephenGiles

Bugger, I can't print them out - my black ink has run out!

Strategy

Quote from: StephenGiles on September 11, 2009, 05:34:43 PM
Quote from: Nitefly182 on September 11, 2009, 04:58:26 PM

I should think that it's far better as a rackmount unit with the proper power supplies.

JH's projects are primarily designed as standalone units, but with e-z modular synth implementation. Also the majority of them have power supply sections on the board so you just need the wall wart and to populate those sections (you omit them for mod synth implementation)

He seems to like the rackmount setup. They are not huge though, it's feature heavy but you can fit them in a larger pedal enclosure. I'm doing his Tau Pipe Phaser, with full in/out and panel controls and CV stuff, but as a pedal. It'll be big and require a wall wart, but fine as a pedal. I've taken a break on it temporarily, but I'll post a build report when it's done.

Strategy
-----------------------------------------------------
www.strategymusic.com
www.community-library.net
https://soundcloud.com/strategydickow
https://twitter.com/STRATEGY_PaulD

StephenGiles

I cannot understand the obsession with tiny boxes :-\ I'm sure that a shining rack will impress the girls :icon_lol:

You do realise that it does TZF and bounce!

oldschoolanalog

Quote from: StephenGiles on September 13, 2009, 07:12:10 AM
I cannot understand the obsession with tiny boxes :-\ I'm sure that a shining rack will impress the girls :icon_lol:
I also don't understand why you would want all that processing power on the floor where you can't get to it easily for "on the fly" adjustments.
Mystery lounge. No tables, chairs or waiters here. In fact, we're all quite alone.

StephenGiles

It really needs to be at eye level for quick adjustments - but I'm forgetting, the more tiny boxes on the floor the faster one can play :icon_biggrin:

oldschoolanalog

Nitefly182

Quote from: oldschoolanalog on September 13, 2009, 11:16:19 AM
Quote from: StephenGiles on September 13, 2009, 07:12:10 AM
I also don't understand why you would want all that processing power on the floor where you can't get to it easily for "on the fly" adjustments.

Id rather be able to just kneel down to my board right at the front of the stage than have to walk back to a rack and do a change there. Plus I can build a pedal and put it on my board. If I build a rack unit I then have to spend money on a rack to put it in.

StephenGiles

http://www.jhaible.de/sonofstormtide/sost_flanger_drums.mp3

Another sound sample, this time with electronic drums - listen to the pedal steel guitar effect about 3 min 50 sec in. I could see a lot of interesting sounds here from guitar.