Elvin Bishop Effects?

Started by Arn C., September 26, 2003, 10:48:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arn C.

Remeber the song "Fooled around and fell in love",  There is a lead in the song, just wondering if anyone inows what he used for his sound?
Arn C.

petemoore

My view on thsi song has done a 180 since it was released.  pretty good one really. I'ts just back then I was into heavy guitar/lead vocal stuff.
 Pretty interesting mix on that one. That lead solo does have that lively 'regular electric guitar' sound to it, not too sweet, but not too aggressive...just 'nice'. Hearing it brought back memories.
 I'ts not always the quality of the music that endears it to me, often times it's what I was thinking at the time I registered/processed the music.
 Even though I used to say 'wuss tune' back then, when I heard it the other day, I got whammed by memories.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

RDV

Quote from: Arn C.Remeber the song "Fooled around and fell in love",  There is a lead in the song, just wondering if anyone inows what he used for his sound?
Arn C.
I can almost guarantee you that Elvin's using what almost all southern gee-tar pickers was usin' back yonder. A Gibson ES-335-6, or 7, and a Fender amp(probably a Super Reverb). It's all you needed then, and now.

Regards

RDV

Arn C.

Thanks!  Nice bluesy lead!
Arn C.

Ammscray

Quote from: Arn C.Remeber the song "Fooled around and fell in love",  There is a lead in the song, just wondering if anyone inows what he used for his sound?
Arn C.

I got a chance to talk to Elvin about his gear a few years ago...believe it or not that solo was done with the prized 335 into a Marshall 50 watt head and Fender 2/12 cab with JBL D120F greyback speakers...but it sounds like that doesn't it? Similar set-up used by J Beck on the "Wired" LP but Beck was using SL Marshall tops, not 50's, but through the same big bandmaster cabs...

awesome lead, and awesome tone!

Other than that one record, he didn't use Marshall again...he, like M Bloomfield, usually used ( and still does) use mid-60's Fender twins with the same grey JBL speakers in them...

That day Elvin proceeded to kick my butt with some of the tastiest blues I've heard in a long time...it was a cool gig because he opened for D Sanborn that day, and they jammed together onstage for the first time since Woodstock! Killer show
"Scram kid, ya botha me!"

J Gagan

I saw Elvin Live when that song was a hit.

He used a volume pedal for the intro.

He had a small SF fender onstage , mic'ed, really good tone.

The lead tone on the record Does sound like a Marshall into Hi quality speakers.

at that concert Mickey Thomas absolutely kicked ass, he was unkown prior to this, I have heard an inside story that he got almost nothing [ $ ] for that song, Elvin and the record co. got most of it I guess.