Dual True Bypass Looper with volume controls?

Started by sevenisthenumber, September 14, 2009, 07:12:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sevenisthenumber

How Can I add a volume knob to each channel of of a dual effects truebypass looper? Can I just wire a 100k audio in between the return and switch?

John Lyons

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

aziltz

it's probably just me, but I would buffer the volume control.  Is that unnecessary?

Processaurus

Quote from: aziltz on September 14, 2009, 08:05:00 PM
it's probably just me, but I would buffer the volume control.  Is that unnecessary?

99% of the time, because the output impedance of effects pedals is generally decently low (like a buffer) and a passive attenuator would do well.  The buffer would be nice if you needed to use it as an A/B switch between two guitars (or bass, rhodes, etc) and control the volume of the louder one without getting tone suck; or, if you need gain.  A non inverting opamp gain stage would then be good, like the mxr microamp (especially with a max 1044 charge pump to get an 18v power supply, for extra headroom).

Your true bypass loop with volume attenuator is going to be extra useful.  I've used mine before with effects that got too loud, but didn't have a volume control (like the alesis bitrman), and the digitech XP series (including the space station) that boost the dry/bypass signal a ton to get the right level for the A/D conversion, but just leave it loud.