not so passive ring mod boost and carrier bleed problems.

Started by scootertrampjr, September 16, 2009, 12:53:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scootertrampjr

So I built a passive ring mod with a couple of transformers and four GE diodes. I ran an Atari punk into the carrier, used the preamps on my mixer to boost the guitar signal enough to make a usable sound and tweaked the pots for a sweet spot until I got an almost bit crusher effect. It sounds really good.  So the next step is building a booster for the guitar input. I tried using a lm386 with a cap between one and eight. I have been trying to run the op amp and the Atari punk off of the same battery which I think may be part of my problem.  I am getting alot of bleed. Instead of the guitar getting louder everything gets louder.   I haven't tried two different batteries yet but I kind of want to be able to run everything on one wall wart once I get a PCB made and put it in a box. 

This is the PCB layout used for my Atari punk.
http://www.getlofi.com/?page_id=1421

Tonemonger

Link-does'nt work for me.
Excuse my ignorance but, I dont know what an Atari punk is - Is it like a Ruby or something ?
Could be an impedance issue , whats the transformer ?

scootertrampjr

an Atari punk is a Stepped Frequency Sound Generator used a lot by circuit benders and diy synth people. I like it because It has a nice crunchy square wave which when set just right makes a great carrier for the passive ring mod and makes my guitar sound like a video game.    as for the link.  You can go to Getlofi.com and click on the apc 2.0 link under documentation on the right side of the page. it will show you the pcb layout and what components come with the kit. 

scootertrampjr

Tonemonger

Brilliant ! - I have some friends into stuff like that. I'll have to dig something out for you .

Taylor

I find that using diode arrays, like TI UC3611, makes for the best oscillator cancel, because the diodes are matched.

scootertrampjr

would I have to replace my existing diodes or use the array you suggested along with it?

scootertrampjr

Ok so I added a 500k pot to output of my atari punk and tweaked it till I got most of the carrier out. it sounds much better but know I have found that I am picking up radio noise.  Any one have a noise gate/suppressor circuit?

Taylor

Quote from: scootertrampjr on September 16, 2009, 09:14:36 AM
would I have to replace my existing diodes or use the array you suggested along with it?

It would replace the diodes currently there.