Gristleizer PCB group buy? Who's interested?

Started by Taylor, September 16, 2009, 05:19:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Strategy

Quote from: Rectangular on November 15, 2009, 03:59:06 PM
save for perhaps Juergen Haible's MS-20 clone. I just checked my schematics, it uses a crazy 4-gang pot, and another 3-gang pot. so those would have to be sourced, or a workaround would have to be found.  a lot of people buy MS-20s just for the weird pitch-to-CV effects that synth generates.   

A quick email or electro-music.com PM to Juergen Haible might reveal clues about how to either substitute or source the unusual pots, I'm sure he'd be happy to share insight about that.

- Strategy
-----------------------------------------------------
www.strategymusic.com
www.community-library.net
https://soundcloud.com/strategydickow
https://twitter.com/STRATEGY_PaulD

Taylor

The pitch-to-voltage might be a bit too much. Doing these PCB orders, there needs to be a reasonable amount of interest in order to get good prices on the boards.

That circuit has around 12 opamps, which seem to be picky about what type (i.e., can't just put them all in quad packages because there are several different types). A hex inverter chip, plus trannies and passives, and the aforementioned quad and triple pots, which are generally quite pricy. I could possibly do it, but the boards would be more expensive because of the expected low interest.

Rectangular

Quote from: Taylor on November 16, 2009, 01:29:46 AM
The pitch-to-voltage might be a bit too much. Doing these PCB orders, there needs to be a reasonable amount of interest in order to get good prices on the boards.

That circuit has around 12 opamps, which seem to be picky about what type (i.e., can't just put them all in quad packages because there are several different types). A hex inverter chip, plus trannies and passives, and the aforementioned quad and triple pots, which are generally quite pricy. I could possibly do it, but the boards would be more expensive because of the expected low interest.

there might be low-to-marginal interest on this forum, but  if the boards were also mentioned/sold on the www.electro-music.com forums, I'm willing to bet that you'd get a lot of additional orders.

Taylor

Yeah, you may be right. Modular guys are also a bit more spendy in general...  ;)

Strategy

I'm surprised that there aren't more 'guitar synth' pedal projects in this forum though. Note the complete lack of microsynth clones, Korg synthepedal, anything that 'synths up' your guitar.
- Strategy
-----------------------------------------------------
www.strategymusic.com
www.community-library.net
https://soundcloud.com/strategydickow
https://twitter.com/STRATEGY_PaulD

jacobyjd

Quote from: Strategy on November 16, 2009, 11:18:33 AM
I'm surprised that there aren't more 'guitar synth' pedal projects in this forum though. Note the complete lack of microsynth clones, Korg synthepedal, anything that 'synths up' your guitar.
- Strategy

I know what you mean--I've been looking at portions of synth schematics with the thought of adapting them to guitar. I'd love to see those two worlds blended more in the DIY community.

However, I think keeping guitar-synth specific projects separate from this one is more favorable, especially since it would be extremely easy to pair the Gristleizer up as an effect to go along with a guitar synth project on a modular basis.
Warsaw, Indiana's poetic love rock band: http://www.bellwethermusic.net

Roy

Hi All,

Good to hear it's moving forward. I've not got round to doing the tweaks I mentioned months back, but it really would be just minor things. The design does basically work just the way it is.

I got one from Endangered Audio. Obviously I'm going to have a poke around inside see what they've done. The ticking on square wave has been a problem for some people. The approach EA has taken is to change the square to a clipped triangle, so reducing the slew rate on the edges.

They sent me a stomp box version. The only thing I did to mine was to add two RG Keen-style millenium bypass indicators for the bypass switch (standard stuff) and the VCA/VCF switch, working off the unused terminal of the VCA/VCF stomp switch.

I haven't got anywhere much with the software LFO - too many other projects. But I came across one implemented in a PIC (same as an AVR, only different) by Electric Druid (google electric druid lfo). It doesn't have the sync to audio that started me off down the soft lfo route in the first place, but it's finished and it works, and would make a fine lfo section in a gristleizer.

Roy

Taylor

Anybody want a green Gristleizer PCB? Special price, $8 plus $2 shipping takes it.

TheCowGod

Same layout as the final black ones? I'll take it off your hands. I'll send you a PM.

Dan

Taylor

Taylor

I'm writing up the build info on this right now, and for the modding section, I was thinking that the VCF really should have a resonance control. Any thoughts on how to add one here?

Boards should be here in the next couple of days...

Skruffyhound

frequencycentral

Quote from: Taylor on November 26, 2009, 12:19:05 AM
I was thinking that the VCF really should have a resonance control. Any thoughts on how to add one here?

That's a very simple VCF, single stage (-6dB/oct?). You could try a 470K pot configured as a variable resistor between the -ve input of IC4 and the output of IC5. Maybe.  :icon_eek:
http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

Taylor

Ok, guys, the boards are on their way to me, so I'll start taking orders now.

The boards are $12 and shipping is $1.50 for one board, 50 cents for each additional board. I haven't figured out international shipping yet, but if you're outside the US, ask and I'll work it out.

To order, send the money to taylorlivingston at yahoo dot com. Make sure to note in the Paypal notes that this is for Gristleizer boards, and how many you are ordering. Also note your forum name and your real name, please.

I've made a wiring diagram, BOM, and tweaking/modding notes, and I will upload them as soon as Aron ok's my gallery account. All the part values are marked on board, so you should be able to build it without looking at any notes, except for the switch wiring. I'll also include a big image of the silkscreen layer for anybody with trouble reading small text.

If anybody has the ability to assemble multi-page PDFs and would like to put these docs together in a single file, that would be great.

I'll post a picture of the boards when they get here (should be tomorrow or the next day I'd guess... dang Thanksgiving holding up the mail).

markeebee

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Taylor, you are a prince.

On behalf of myself and your many other admirers over here, please could you conjure up a price for sending to the UK?  Sorry to add to the workload  :icon_redface:

Taylor

Hmm, let's say $2.00 for one board and 50 cents for each additional one to Europe.

TheCowGod

I received Taylor's green PCB yesterday, and it looks really good. Well laid out, easy-to-read silk screen layer, etc. Highly recommended.

Taylor, just a note -- the envelope arrived with a small manila envelope clipped to it, with a note from the postman saying there was an additional $0.20 postage due and that I should leave the money in that little envelope. That's interesting, I'd never encountered that before -- I thought they just didn't deliver it if it had insufficient postage. Anyway, just wanted to let you know now in case you need to adjust your shipping charges for the black boards.

I haven't had a chance to build this yet, but I did just finish a Gristlizer with a home-etched gaussmarkov 5x741 board, and it sounds great. I'm getting LFO ticking with my home-etched board, so I'm curious if there will be any difference with this one, or if it's just a symptom of my lackluster enclosure wiring skills. I suspect the latter.

Dan

jacobyjd

Once this Thursday rolls around, you'll be seeing my order :) Well done, Taylor.
Warsaw, Indiana's poetic love rock band: http://www.bellwethermusic.net

myka-x

Thanks again Taylor, payment sent today.

~David

PB Wilson