Gristleizer PCB group buy? Who's interested?

Started by Taylor, September 16, 2009, 05:19:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taylor

As mentioned in this thread, I might do a double-sided layout for the Gristleizer and get some PCBs made up. The purpose of this thread is to find out how many people are interested, how many everybody wants, and the particulars of the design.

yea/nay:

Board-mounted pots?
Board-mounted rotary?
Quad opamp for the LFO/dual for audio sound good to everybody?
Any additions to the circuit (We'll have a leftover opamp in the quad...)?
Is there a particular box everybody wants to design around?

Just so I don't let anybody down, this is still an exploratory thing. If there's not enough interest, the boards won't be made, so don't get our hopes up just yet.

Dan N

Quote from: Taylor on September 16, 2009, 05:19:45 AM

A noise circuit for a random function?

jacobyjd

Quote from: Dan N on September 16, 2009, 06:42:50 AM

That's a good thought.

However, I think I'd like to see an oscillator--not sure if you can whip up a decent one with a single opamp, but...it would definitely make the unit useful as a rhythm instrument as well, and I could see myself doing some cool stuff with it.

Either way, I'd be in for one at least.

oh--and nay on board-mounted controls for me--it would take up so much extra space that it wouldn't be worth it to those of us who like more unique controls layouts.

I'd probably keep making them in 1790s, just because it makes for a very clean build when finished, but I'd love to see the board designed to fit in a BB enclosure. That gives everyone more options.

Also--I'd like to see the power supply mounted on the same board. That would save some serious space. Just a simple 9v-->+/-9v using a charge pump :)
Warsaw, Indiana's poetic love rock band: http://www.bellwethermusic.net

tiges_ tendres

I would be in for 3 of 4 boards as previously stated.

As for the board mounted pots and rotary switch that might be a nice option to have.  Although it does handcuff you in regards to box/drilling template.

Either way, board mounted or not, I'd be in.
Try a little tenderness.

PB Wilson

I'm flexible and would go with whatever the hive mind wants. I'd also be in for one or two.

What kind of price range are we talking? Under or around $20?

Strategy

I'd be in for one; I vote 'no' on board-mounted pots and 'yes' on onboard powersupply section!

- Strategy
-----------------------------------------------------
www.strategymusic.com
www.community-library.net
https://soundcloud.com/strategydickow
https://twitter.com/STRATEGY_PaulD

Iron Code Monkey

I don't like board-mounted pots, if the case is drilled wrong there will be stress on the solder joints.

svstee

Quote from: Strategy on September 16, 2009, 01:44:19 PM
I'd be in for one; I vote 'no' on board-mounted pots and 'yes' on onboard powersupply section!

Took the words right out of my mouth.  :)

frequencycentral

Quote from: Dan N on September 16, 2009, 06:42:50 AM

I think implementing sample and hold, and a noise generator to drive it would add at least a couple more opamps, a FET and a couple of transistors, plus some passive components. It would be an interesting addition though, and you could even use the existing LFO for a sample source for the S/H, giving cool stepped waveforms - which can sound very sequencery.
http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

Taylor

Price will depend entirely on how many we get. I understand it's kind of circular, since the interest depends on the price, but the price depends on the interest... hmm.

Re: power supply, yes I would do onboard power supply with a charge pump.

Board mounted pots: it's possible to do them without making the board larger. Since you need pads for the wires anyway, I'll try to do them. If it does end up making the board larger, I'll scrap it. You won't be forced to use them if you want another control layout.

S+H is probably a little more than I have time to whip up right now. A simple oscillator is probably doable with an opamp and a resistor. Won't have multiple waveshapes or anything, though.

thedefog

LM324n + a single for the lfo would probably achieve the higher fidelity and eliminate ticking. The only reason I was looking to use alternatives to the 741 was due to the fact I often swap around FX pedals on my board and use them in recording sessions for other instruments and FX sends. I dunno if the 741s would be good or bad in those situations since I've never personally had experience with this effect. Sometimes that low-fi sound is just what I'm looking for. I ordered a board from the same guy that made them for the original build report here, and I'll post my build report as well when I'm done. I'llsocket all 5 of them, and play around with different combinations and share my results with everyone here.

Ben N

I'd be interested. Yes on modern chip choices/layout, on-board power supply. No to board mounting pots. I don't know if any mods to the board would really be required (LDR?), but whenever I see an LFO, I would like to also see LFO out and control in jacks.
  • SUPPORTER

markeebee

Thanks Taylor, really good of you to take this on.

I'd like four, please.  Not so keen on hard-mounted pots, but not worried if the consensus says yes to them.  On board power supply if poss.  Other mods - not bothered, just so long as it works.....I don't feel like you should have to invest any extra time......

Ry

I'd take one board (maybe two if the price was low enough).  For the mounted pots question, why not run pads for either mounting them or not?  This may make a larger board, but people will have the option.

Ry

Taylor

Seems nobody wants board-mounted pots, so I won't bother. Kind of surprised people aren't into this; the absolute worst part of this hobby to me is off board wiring. But that's fine, I don't even know if I'll build one of these, so I'd rather make the board the way everyone else wants it than for myself.

earthtonesaudio

You can just as easily solder a wire to a pad where a pot should go.  Have it both ways.  (Not interested in buying a board, just a general comment.)

jacobyjd

Quote from: earthtonesaudio on September 17, 2009, 01:54:53 PM
You can just as easily solder a wire to a pad where a pot should go.  Have it both ways.  (Not interested in buying a board, just a general comment.)

Absolutely. My only concern here is that we've been talking about ways to reduce PCB size--board-mounted pots will increase the footprint. Other than that, I'm indifferent to it--I even like board-mounted pots :)
Warsaw, Indiana's poetic love rock band: http://www.bellwethermusic.net

Strategy

Taylor, you might find additional takers for this pcb over at electro-music, even though it can be tricky to juggle the headcounts between multiple forums. Even though the Gristleizer could be approximated with several modular synth modules, the standalone itself is sort of a synth-DIY heritage item, being associated with Throbbing Gristle and all. I'd say you'll be able to lower the cost of the pcbs if you get some takers over there, just a thought.

- STrategy
-----------------------------------------------------
www.strategymusic.com
www.community-library.net
https://soundcloud.com/strategydickow
https://twitter.com/STRATEGY_PaulD

Taylor

Quote from: Strategy on September 17, 2009, 02:05:41 PM
Taylor, you might find additional takers for this pcb over at electro-music, even though it can be tricky to juggle the headcounts between multiple forums. Even though the Gristleizer could be approximated with several modular synth modules, the standalone itself is sort of a synth-DIY heritage item, being associated with Throbbing Gristle and all. I'd say you'll be able to lower the cost of the pcbs if you get some takers over there, just a thought.

- STrategy

That's a good idea, I'll try that.