source for PCB mounted footswitches?

Started by loss1234, September 19, 2009, 01:46:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

loss1234

anybody know of pcb mounted switches similar to these in features??

http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=20

thanks so much

R.G.

R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Dirk_Hendrik

Cause he's asking for the PCB mounted variant? (Which does exist)
More stuff, less fear, less  hassle and less censoring? How 'bout it??. To discuss what YOU want to discuss instead of what others decide for you. It's possible...

But not at diystompboxes.com...... regrettably

Taylor

Every time I've seen someone PCB mounting a stomp like that, they just use that one, with the lugs. The lugs are small enough that it's not unreasonable to solder them like pins, but I would be interested in seeing one with PCB pins.

Greg_G

Yep.
People say the Cliff type switches exist with PCB pins.. but I've never seen them.
Every builder I've seen using these switches board mounted is using the solder lug style.

Processaurus

R.G.

I'm a little baffled by this.

Why would you want a PCB just to mount the footswitch? The exact same number of wires have to be connected, excepting possibly one. Plus you have to buy the PCB and solder it onto the switch, then solder the wires into the PCB.

PCB mounted switches are something you do for ease of testing where you have large quantities in mos cases.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

mth5044

^ What if you built it on perf? That seems like an easy way of not only decreasing the amount of wires, but a nice way to mount the circuit into the enclosure.

Taylor

The prevailing wisdom there is that the stomp switch, being stomped on, should not be attached to the circuit board, because the stress of being stomped can crack traces, solder joints, etc. Now, AFAIK, some MXR pedals have the switch, pots, and jacks all on board, and people seem to like their reliability, so I don't know if that fear is based in reality or not, but it makes sense.

I agree with RG that having a separate mini board just for the PCB doesn't really make life much easier. I do find soldering to a PCB somewhat faster than an equivalent number of joints directly to solder lugs, but the difference isn't huge, and probably made up for by having to solder the lugs to the board in addition to the wires to the board.

Greg_G

Quote from: Taylor on September 20, 2009, 04:32:35 PM
The prevailing wisdom there is that the stomp switch, being stomped on, should not be attached to the circuit board, because the stress of being stomped can crack traces, solder joints, etc. Now, AFAIK, some MXR pedals have the switch, pots, and jacks all on board, and people seem to like their reliability, so I don't know if that fear is based in reality or not, but it makes sense.

I agree.
There's also a lot of shock transferred through that switch.. but a lot of builders are mounting them these days.
I have the same concerns about PCB mounted jacks, due to the amount of pressure that can be exerted on them.. especially if they get loose and need retightening..
If the fasteners never come loose.. and are able to take the load, it probably won't cause a problem.

I think the OP is probably intending to mount the switches to the main board.. not a mini switch board ?

smallbearelec

I have seen the PCB version in a number of commercial pedals. If you must have one Now, Mouser stocks it. I have it in our present order to Alpha, which should be delivered about the last week of October.

SD

loss1234

the last week of october? so i could buy one from mouser now to test and then get em from you? sounds good

i couldnt find the brand name of these...are they CLIFF? can i do a mouser search for cliff foot switch? thanks

i am trying to pcb mount ALL the switches and jacks and pots on this pedal (as i making a bunch of em) and  i was under the impression (maybe wrongly) that if the footswitch was screwed to the panel with 2 nuts, that the vibrations from the foot stepping on it, would not end up shaking the pcb...but maybe this is wrong?

any input appreciated!

igor12

I mount everything on the PCB.  I have given it a stress test and they seem to be fine. I also tried those switch actuators that small bear sells and using a cheapo mini DPDT pushbutton switch from mouser.  That has held up well also and I do not notice any more clicks or pops than the ALPHA type.  One tip if you are doing your own layout: do not run any traces to the switch on the same sided of the pcb where the switch gets installed. I did have problems there.

Crazyyellowfox

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/AR70736

I use these for everything. Rarely board mounted.
If you can live with a DPDT I alway Millineum bypass
my boxes.

They're dirt cheap too and I have some that have
lasted me a good nine years now.