Clean boost for acoustic guitar?

Started by lmacmil, September 20, 2009, 10:44:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lmacmil

Went to my first acoustic open mic last week.  My guitar has a K&K Pure Western Mini which consists of 3 transducers mounted on the bridge plate inside the guitar.  It is totally passive and works great plugged directly into my mixer at home. 

At the bar, I plugged directly into the mixer and had to turn the volume up quite a bit which resulted in a loud hum (maybe from the spotlights but who knows).  My friend's guitar had a Baggs active pickup so his was fine.  Wondering if a clean boost might solve this problem.  I have an AMZ Mosfet booster that I built a couple years ago.  As soon as I get it working again ( :icon_frown:) I will give it a try.  (Worked last time I used it a couple years ago but not last week when I tried it again.)

If I have to, I can buy an acoustic guitar preamp (K&K has one) but since I don't know how often I'll be doing the open mics, I'd rather not spend the money.

Thanks.

aziltz

any kind of preamp tailored for acoustic guitar will help you out.  Acoustic-focused pedals don't pop up on here much so I have nothing to suggest.  Perhaps others will chime in.

Gus

Maybe try the Fet impedance converter circuit.
http://web.telia.com/~u31617586/#simple%20FET%20impedance%20converter
Change the 1 meg input resistor to 10 Meg and you should not need the input cap with piezos.  Often you do not need any added gain with piezos but you need a higher input resistance.  You will need a shielded enclosure around the circuit and shielded wire to the circuit.  I would build it so it plugs into the jack on the guitar body or clips to your guitar strap to keep the piezo to JFET buffer cable short

oldrocker

The R.O.G. Mr. EQ. worked on my acoustic.  It boosted the guitar with the added bonus of the eq.

slideman82

I made a Fet style booster for a friend, who tried it with his acoustic, and sounded great! Just build a Fetzer.
Hey! Turk-&-J.D.! And J.D.!

Renegadrian

I'd say try the Tillman, it sounds quite good in any situation...Or the Barcus Berry Hot Dot box - it was born to work with BBHD piezo pickups, so it should fit your need, I believe...
Done an' workin'=Too many to mention - Tube addict!

Gus

I would build/check the circuit I posted,  It is a nice circuit.

grolschie

Quote from: aziltz on September 20, 2009, 11:16:10 AM
any kind of preamp tailored for acoustic guitar will help you out.  Acoustic-focused pedals don't pop up on here much so I have nothing to suggest.  Perhaps others will chime in.

Piezo pickup? Then +1 on the onboard preamp. I have a piezo/preamp combo and it works pretty well - if you like the piezo sound. :)

Ripthorn

I built the Cafe Walter PZP-1 piezo preamp for the piezo in my bass and it works great.
Exact science is not an exact science - Nikola Tesla in The Prestige
https://scientificguitarist.wixsite.com/home

jacobyjd

My suggestion would be a straight up opamp boost. run it on +/- 12 or 18v within the amp's operating specs and you'll get a transparent db boost for running into a board.
Warsaw, Indiana's poetic love rock band: http://www.bellwethermusic.net

lmacmil

Quote from: jacobyjd on September 21, 2009, 10:53:21 AM
My suggestion would be a straight up opamp boost.

Fyi, I'm from South Bend and the open mic night I referred to is at the Big Easy in Elkhart.  Just started 3 weeks ago.  It's Thursdays at 8.

col

Whatever you build please can you let us know how well it worked. I recently did a gig with my Crafter which has a pre-amp and the other guitarist used a passive Applause. The PA chap wasn't happy at all with the diffrence in volume. I was thinking of just doing a basic op-amp circuit but if there is something better I'd build that.
Col

jacobyjd

Quote from: lmacmil on September 21, 2009, 01:02:24 PM
Quote from: jacobyjd on September 21, 2009, 10:53:21 AM
My suggestion would be a straight up opamp boost.

Fyi, I'm from South Bend and the open mic night I referred to is at the Big Easy in Elkhart.  Just started 3 weeks ago.  It's Thursdays at 8.

Awesome! I might have to check it out :) that's only a short hop away!
Warsaw, Indiana's poetic love rock band: http://www.bellwethermusic.net