Roland Space Echo power supply question

Started by SonicVI, September 26, 2009, 01:31:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SonicVI

I've got a Japanese version of the Roland RE-201 Space Echo that's meant to run on 100V 50/60Hz according to the plate on the unit.   Is this safe to run on US voltage?   Looking at the schematics
http://manuals.fdiskc.com/flat/Roland%20RE-101%20&%20RE-201%20Service%20Manual.pdf   it looks like the power transformer has 100V and 120V taps.   Inside the unit both wires are connected to a terminal strip but one of the lugs (the green wire) doesn't connect to anything (as you can see in the schematic and photo below).  Should I just swap the blue and green wires to make it more suitable to US voltage?

Here's a photo of the transformer connections.

thanks!

Morocotopo

Are you sure that the transformer tap is a 120V one? Measure with a DMM first... might be a 220V one  :icon_eek:
Morocotopo

SonicVI

Quote from: Morocotopo on September 26, 2009, 02:21:29 PM
Are you sure that the transformer tap is a 120V one? Measure with a DMM first... might be a 220V one  :icon_eek:

The service manual says 100/120.  

I suppose the question also is not just is it safe fo rthe unit, but will the extra 15-20% of voltage result in less than optimal performance (ie: misbiasing, noise, motor instability, etc.)?

wavley

It looks like you are correct, but make sure you check the part number of the transformer to make sure it's the 100/120 and measure it, because bad things could happen if you're wrong.
New and exciting innovations in current technology!

Bone is in the fingers.

EccoHollow Art & Sound

eccohollow.bandcamp.com

Udonitron

1st time poster here. Just curious if the wire swap worked for you and you can now run your Space Echo on a 110/120v circuit? Cheers! :icon_mrgreen: