News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Switching

Started by FujiLim, September 26, 2009, 01:31:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FujiLim

I was wondering... Though the true bypass is best solution, I was wondering abut this switching. Second pic is like  resistors and wire in parallel, effect impedance is way higher than the wire so logical is that 99% signal will bypass effect and go through the wire all the way ? Fist pic is better I guess, effect and guitar signal in "bypassed" mode have only one common connection at end and thus no effect on guitar signal?
This in only in theory. Pls. explain to me how the signal really behaves?

Is this stupid of me? I have just been studying some stuff on wiki and I was wondering about this...

MarcoMike

well. referring to the second drawing: it''s correct that the portion of signal which goes spontaneously "into" the effect is just a negligible portion, but the effect is actually listening to that very carefully.. and speaking it back to the output... so in that way I think you will blend in some way the dry signal and effect... even though the original dry signal went almost completely stright to the output through the wire... ;)
Only those who attempt the absurd will achieve the impossible.

R.G.

Neither of those two switching methods will work well if the input signal is a guitar.

This is because a guitar signal is not only a small voltage, but also is a very weak current.

In both of these, the output signal of the effect is connected to the output jack all the time, and in "bypass" the input signal is also connected to the output jack at the same time. The effect output is usually both bigger in voltage than a guitar's signal, and also stronger in terms of current it can supply. So the effect will dominate the output whenever the switching connects the guitar signal to the output jack.

I think it's time for another round of telling everyone to go read everything at www.geofex.com. True, there's not much new there recently. That's because what is there is still true and correct, not subject to random speculations from the rest of the internet. In particular, both of you need to read "The Technology of Bypasses".
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.