New FV-1 based module

Started by octfrank, October 01, 2009, 01:50:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

octfrank

A new FV-1 based module is available from OCT Distribution. This module integrates an FV-1, filtering, 3.3V LDO regulator and EEPROM onto to a small 1.2"x2.1" daughter board for easy integration into your project. Module is pre-programmed with one of our program sets (mono reverb/delay currently available, more sets in development) or for production quantities it may be programmed with a custom set.

Module data sheet: http://www.oct-distribution.com/datasheets/SKRM-C8-XXX.pdf
Reverb delay R01 set info and example schematic: http://www.oct-distribution.com/datasheets/SKRM-C8-R01.pdf

OEM pricing on OCT web site http://www.oct-distribution.com/
OEM pricing currently being honored on ALL orders (yes, DIY included)
Frank Thomson
Experimental Noize

MetalGuy

Cogratulations! It was about time to have such FV-1 based module.

Processaurus

aron

I would love this in my Shaka pedal. Very cool!

aron

Did I miss the delay time specs etc???? Reverb time?

octfrank

Quote from: aron on October 01, 2009, 05:08:56 PM
Did I miss the delay time specs etc???? Reverb time?

Uh, no, I did. Total available delay time available is 1 sec (32.768KHz xtal, 32K words of delay in the FV-1)

For the R01 program set, I allow the entire memory to be used in the echo and delay programs (in the delay, it is short of a second as I use a bit at the end to have room to modulate the read pointer). Reverb time for programs 0-3 is adjustable via POT0, not a fixed time.

And, as there have been a number of questions emailed to me already, I'll address two of the commons ones here:
Cost for custom programs sets depends on a number of factors. Please describe your need (i.e. you've already developed your programs and just need them burned into the module, you need us to write them, etc.) as best you can.

For custom sets the min order is 25 units, order must ship complete.
Frank Thomson
Experimental Noize

aron

Wow, very cool. Is the module powerful enough to give delay+reverb? That would be incredible if possible.

octfrank

Quote from: aron on October 01, 2009, 07:04:21 PM
Wow, very cool. Is the module powerful enough to give delay+reverb? That would be incredible if possible.

It could but the memory would be shared by both the delay and the reverb so it would be a shorter delay time but probably fine for many things. The current program set doesn't have delay+reverb but I'll look into adding it to a future set. I expect to release a new set in the next week or so.

Frank Thomson
Experimental Noize

aron

My memory man only has 550ms of delay. Apparently that was good enough for me for years. If it had that and a decent sounding reverb, wow.

trixdropd

A little above me at the moment, but very cool!!

Ice-9

I've been following the development of the FV1 for a while now and like the idea of a module, are the schematics of the module available on the website and are there any UK distro's for the module.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.

MetalGuy

QuoteIs the module powerful enough to give delay+reverb?

I'm using a delay+reverb program from one of the demo modules on Spin's site and it works very well for me.
Chorus + reverb and/or chorus + delay are also useful combinations so please consider them as well.

octfrank

Quote from: Ice-9 on October 02, 2009, 04:56:18 AM
I've been following the development of the FV1 for a while now and like the idea of a module, are the schematics of the module available on the website and are there any UK distro's for the module.

Schematic not available at this time but may be in the future. Based on the one in the FV-1 datasheet.

No UK distributor yet but I have been contacted by a UK DIYer that is looking into purchasing a large batch and reselling as a favour to the UK DIY community. If he does I'll make sure to send UK DIYers to him.
Frank Thomson
Experimental Noize

octfrank

Quote from: MetalGuy on October 02, 2009, 05:45:50 AM
QuoteIs the module powerful enough to give delay+reverb?

I'm using a delay+reverb program from one of the demo modules on Spin's site and it works very well for me.
Chorus + reverb and/or chorus + delay are also useful combinations so please consider them as well.

I must admit, I was not expecting the number of emails I have received about this module. Lots of requests for particular programs so going to toss this out there, here is a proposed program list for the next program set. What do you think:

Mono-in/mono-out program set G01 (name may change)
Different example schematic than R01 set, this set will be designed such that the module outputs are used directly and not mixed back in with the source signal.

Prg #DescriptionPOT0POT1POT2
0   Echo+ReverbReverb levelDelayEcho level
1   Echo/Repeat+ReverbReverb levelDelayEcho level
2   Chorus+ReverbReverb levelRateChorus level
3   Flange+ReverbReverb levelRateFlange level
4   Phase Shifter+ReverbReverb levelPhase rateSweep width
5   Tremolo+ReverbReverb levelRateTremolo level
6   Vibrato+ReverbReverb levelVibrato rateVibrato width
7   Auto-wah+ReverbReverb levelSensitivityLevel/filter Q

NOTES: Prg 0 only has a single echo ( no repeat), delay adjustable from about 50mS to 600mS
Prg1 has a fixed feed back, trails off quickly, delay adjustable from about 50mS to 600mS
Frank Thomson
Experimental Noize

Jay

This is starting to look good now!

If you have someone here in the UK willing to buy them in then I'm interested.

Please keep us posted.

Jay.

Processaurus

Quote from: octfrank on October 02, 2009, 01:22:27 PM
Different example schematic than R01 set, this set will be designed such that the module outputs are used directly and not mixed back in with the source signal.

Does that mean that the dry signal is incorporated in the program?  If so, it would leave the builder many more options (and be more useful as a modular building block) if the module always put out a 100% wet signal, one big reason is it is nice to keep the dry signal analog and decide how it gets mixed.

Are your multi-effect program ideas with the flange + reverb, autowah + reverb, are those meaning the signal gets flanged, then reverbed, and you'd hear flanger on the dry signal, or that the flange is applied only to the reverb signal?  The latter would be much more interesting to a DIY pedalmaker (don't know if that's the target market for this, or if it is aimed more at small amp manufacturers, etc.), as digital multi-effects are kind of the opposite of DIY, and sonically less interesting than a module that does one effect at a time with more adjustable parameters.

A space echo (multi tap delay with spring reverb) type program set would be crazy!  Could do it with one knob as a fancy pan between the reverb and the delay, so that they are both unity in the middle, and remain unity to one side, as the opposite effect's volume is reduced, and the other two knobs delay time and repeats.

So would a delay that had 100% wet, but short reverb on what is going into the delay, like what happens with the echo in real, large, natural spaces, you never hear the echo back as clearly defined as the original sound.  Some reverbs have a pre delay knob, that's almost the same thing, except you don't get repeats.

Just what comes to mind as a pedal maker/ beginning designer, and what you have with the existing reverb/ delay set is great!

octfrank

Quote from: Processaurus on October 03, 2009, 04:34:02 AM

Does that mean that the dry signal is incorporated in the program?  If so, it would leave the builder many more options (and be more useful as a modular building block) if the module always put out a 100% wet signal, one big reason is it is nice to keep the dry signal analog and decide how it gets mixed.

Currently yes, this set is designed for small amps, stomp boxes used where stage space is a premium, etc. I'll make note of possibly a future set where it is 100% wet output. The current reverb/delay set is 100% wet out,

Are your multi-effect program ideas with the flange + reverb, autowah + reverb, are those meaning the signal gets flanged, then reverbed, and you'd hear flanger on the dry signal, or that the flange is applied only to the reverb signal?  The latter would be much more interesting to a DIY pedalmaker (don't know if that's the target market for this, or if it is aimed more at small amp manufacturers, etc.), as digital multi-effects are kind of the opposite of DIY, and sonically less interesting than a module that does one effect at a time with more adjustable parameters.

This set does the effect then reverb. Reversing that could be in a future program set.

A space echo (multi tap delay with spring reverb) type program set would be crazy!  Could do it with one knob as a fancy pan between the reverb and the delay, so that they are both unity in the middle, and remain unity to one side, as the opposite effect's volume is reduced, and the other two knobs delay time and repeats.

So would a delay that had 100% wet, but short reverb on what is going into the delay, like what happens with the echo in real, large, natural spaces, you never hear the echo back as clearly defined as the original sound.  Some reverbs have a pre delay knob, that's almost the same thing, except you don't get repeats.

Just what comes to mind as a pedal maker/ beginning designer, and what you have with the existing reverb/ delay set is great!

Lots of good ideas here,  maybe I'll do a "diystompboxes.com" set and people here will decide the programs, parameters, set order, etc.
Frank Thomson
Experimental Noize

Ice-9

Hi Frank,

I was wondering from a non programmer point of view (i did some pascal at college years ago) how easy would it be to start learning the code to build my own programs ? Will  there be available some kind of windows development tool or will it be all machine code type of stuff ? I have a really nice idea i would like to develop with the FV1 and after checking the datasheet, the int/ext eeprom select makes this very possible, is there any way i can get hold of just the FV1 chip in the UK or should i wait for the module towing its way here.
Regards
Mick
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.

aron

octfrank

Quote from: Ice-9 on October 03, 2009, 03:58:37 PM
Hi Frank,

I was wondering from a non programmer point of view (i did some pascal at college years ago) how easy would it be to start learning the code to build my own programs ? Will  there be available some kind of windows development tool or will it be all machine code type of stuff ? I have a really nice idea i would like to develop with the FV1 and after checking the datasheet, the int/ext eeprom select makes this very possible, is there any way i can get hold of just the FV1 chip in the UK or should i wait for the module towing its way here.
Regards
Mick

If you've studied DSP and some assembly language then it would be possible to create your own programs. Start by d/l some of the programs from the Spin site and see if they make sense. The FV-1 and development systems are available from the European distributor, Profusion plc in Southend-on-sea. http://www.profusionplc.com/
Frank Thomson
Experimental Noize