Stompbox LED turns off when i plug in the amp?

Started by peps1, October 14, 2009, 10:06:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peps1

My beautiful sounding Muff clone has a slight problem.....ever time i plug it into the amp, the indicator LED turns off????

The pedal works fine, and the LED turns on and off as long as the amp is not plugged into the box

Paul Marossy

But the rest of the pedal works when plugged into the amp?

~arph

I assume it works fine bar the LED ( asyou say it sounds beatiful   ::) )

First, isolate that LED resistor.. could be that plugging in a cable makes a ground connection to the exposed wire.

peps1

Quote from: Paul Marossy on October 14, 2009, 10:38:41 AM
But the rest of the pedal works when plugged into the amp?

Yes, seems to work fine...all apart from the LED

Quote from: ~arph on October 14, 2009, 10:54:15 AM
I assume it works fine bar the LED ( asyou say it sounds beatiful   ::) )

First, isolate that LED resistor.. could be that plugging in a cable makes a ground connection to the exposed wire.

Have done that, but still the same  :'( as soon as i put the tip of the jack into the output socket out the LED goes?

Fender3D

you did connect the GND on the sleeve switch tip of your plastic jack socket.
Short it with the proper GND (sleeve) tip.
"NOT FLAMMABLE" is not a challenge

peps1

This is how iv wired up the plastic jack.....have i got it the wrong way?

Fender3D

In the pic you posted the plastick socket has 4 tips.
The upper two are wired with a green wire to PCB and a black wire to metal jack's gnd,then a white wire to switch.
One of the lower tips has 2 (1?) green wires, one of which seems connected to switch's mid row.These (this) must be shorted with gnd or upper tip.

peps1

Quote from: Fender3D on October 14, 2009, 02:39:54 PM
The upper two are wired with a green wire to PCB and a black wire to metal jack's gnd,then a white wire to switch.
One of the lower tips has 2 (1?) green wires, one of which seems connected to switch's mid row.These (this) must be shorted with gnd or upper tip.

Sorry Fender3D, im getting a little confused.....the socket has 4 pins Iv got them hooked up as front two=GND, back two=Tip)  

jacobyjd

Quote from: peps1 on October 14, 2009, 03:00:29 PM
Quote from: Fender3D on October 14, 2009, 02:39:54 PM

Sorry Fender3D, im getting a little confused.....the socket has 4 pins Iv got them hooked up as front two=GND, back two=Tip) 

Brook, it's hard to tell from the picture--both the pins going to ground in the plastic jack--are they hooked directly together? If not, that's your problem, most likely. The plastic jack is a switching-type jack, and when you plug a cable into it, it severs the connection between opposite pins on the jack.
Warsaw, Indiana's poetic love rock band: http://www.bellwethermusic.net

Fender3D

I know, but that kind of socket has 2 pins (upper in your pic) who will connect your jack tip and sleeve when inserted,
and 2 pins (lower in your pic) who will switch off the above pins when inserting jack, this switching will unconnect your lower green wires from gnd... (then will turn your led off)

peps1

so i should conect the two green wire and the black wire grounding the two jacks to the same pin?  :icon_confused:

jacobyjd

Quote from: peps1 on October 14, 2009, 03:11:47 PM
so i should conect the two green wire and the black wire grounding the two jacks to the same pin?  :icon_confused:

Yes--in the picture you posted of the build above, you should detach the GND wires from the pin deepest in the box and attach them to the pin closest to the top (the same pin that has the 1 green wire and 1 black wire attached)

peps1

THAT WORDED...... ;D

thought i had another problem......but was just a loses connection....all hunky dory now

jacobyjd

Quote from: peps1 on October 14, 2009, 04:09:00 PM
THAT WORDED...... ;D

thought i had another problem......but was just a loses connection....all hunky dory now

Awesome! Nice little build you've got there :)

Switching jacks can get kind of confusing, but they can also be very useful. In the future, just make sure you're connecting the right pins on the jack to be hitting the cable you plug in and you're golden :)

Paul Marossy

Fender3D

trixdropd

Now you've learned how the jack can be switched, now figure out how to use that to your advantage in the future....