The Tonepad volume pedal with 3080.

Started by sean k, October 16, 2009, 08:01:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sean k

So I've marked this one out on copper and I'm now wondering how to go about setting up the actual pot. Would it be a log pot or maybe even a reverse log?

The question being that do the CA3080's pull down the output when pin 5 recieves a higher current or does it pull down on a lower current.
http://www.tonepad.com/getFile.asp?id=2

I'm hoping that the 100k pot is a regular audio taper and 9V goes in where it normally goes in and the diode to earth is where it normally just goes straight to earth. Are my hopes fulfilled?
Monkey see, monkey do.
Http://artyone.bolgtown.co.nz/

R.G.

It might help to read Anderton's actual article. His article used the original pot in a volume pedal, whatever that was. I can't remember beyond that. Some volume pedals used audio, some used linear. Don't know of any reverse logs, but it could have happened.

The 3080 multiplies the current into pin 5 by the difference between pins 2 and 3. So the bigger the current into pin 5, the bigger the current into/out of pin 6 is. This is of course a current output, so the voltage output is the product of the output current times the load resistor on pin 6.

More pin 5 current equals bigger signal.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

sean k

Monkey see, monkey do.
Http://artyone.bolgtown.co.nz/