Magnetic paint?

Started by Electric_Death, October 19, 2009, 03:53:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Electric_Death

Does anybody bother with this stuff and if so, just how good is it?

I've considered using it for my guitar cavities but won't trouble myself with the hunt and expense if it's not going to deliver.
In fact, I was intending on buying magnetic powder, mixing it with some cheap water base and just brush painting it as I prefer water base acrylic to distillate and oil base.

If not for the guitar, will it make a difference in pedal housings?
When I get my gain levels well balanced, I have very little grounding buzz but if I can eliminate it physically so I don't have to tinker so much..well you see what I'm getting at.

jacobyjd

I don't know about magnetic paint in a guitar...I've used the conductive paint from Stew-Mac with good results...it's pricey though.

Re: in pedal enclosures--you won't need it if you use a metal box. It would simply be duplicating that function.
Warsaw, Indiana's poetic love rock band: http://www.bellwethermusic.net

Electric_Death

Quote from: jacobyjd on October 19, 2009, 03:56:48 PM
I don't know about magnetic paint in a guitar...I've used the conductive paint from Stew-Mac with good results...it's pricey though.

Re: in pedal enclosures--you won't need it if you use a metal box. It would simply be duplicating that function.

With Stewart McDonald's pricing, I'm sure their "conductive" paint is simply magnetic paint by a different name so they can charge waaaay too much for it like they do with everything else. Magnetic paint is intended for maximum EMF and RF shielding. Supposed to be better than copper foil which of course is said to be better than aluminum foil.

For the cost though, no matter how good it is I'll just make my own by buying magnetic powder and adding it to some 2 dollar water based acrylic.

jacobyjd

That's probably true--the price of it has kept me from going back.

For effects, are you using metal enclosures?

Electric_Death

Yes good quality Hammond enclosures.
No issues with them but I've seen a few videos now where people shield their guitars really well and it seems to greatly dissipate grounding buzz and 60 cycle hum when at ultra high gain levels. Tried it several times in the past with aluminum foil to no prevail but I also read aluminum foil is the least effective shielding.

It's claimed that active pickups don't have grounding buzz due to being shielded internally with copper foil and potted with epoxy but, I think that's a myth.
If you listen to actives, they have slightly less jangle and twang than passives. I think they are simply using a capacitor and bleeding off the upper range frequencies where all the audible noise is which will almost completely eliminate grounding buzz with very little compromise of tone and output.
I've done this with a few of my circuit builds but if it can be done through better shielding of the guitar, that's obviously a better solution.

Maybe the foil needs to be more complete-cover the front, sides and cavity cover?
I know when guys use the magnetic paint, they cover everything liberally.

bagudan

I´ve shielded my strat with a very thick copper-foil. It covers the entire cavity, and also the whole back of the pickguard....works like a charm... was also the most expensive foil I´ve ver bought;)

mth5044

Is this magnetic paint stuff the same thing used on the oil drum delays or the echorec?

Taylor

Quote from: Electric_Death on October 19, 2009, 06:12:19 PM
No issues with them but I've seen a few videos now where people shield their guitars really well and it seems to greatly dissipate grounding buzz and 60 cycle hum when at ultra high gain levels.

But as Josh is saying, this is only relevant to guitars made out of wood. Metal boxes are their own shielding as long as you ground the box.

Electric_Death

Quote from: Taylor on October 19, 2009, 07:14:30 PM
Quote from: Electric_Death on October 19, 2009, 06:12:19 PM
No issues with them but I've seen a few videos now where people shield their guitars really well and it seems to greatly dissipate grounding buzz and 60 cycle hum when at ultra high gain levels.

But as Josh is saying, this is only relevant to guitars made out of wood. Metal boxes are their own shielding as long as you ground the box.

Yeah I'm well aware, the topic at hand is shielding GUITARS.

frank_p

Krylon magnetic paint is not that expensive if I remember well (and if it's still made).

Electric_Death

Quote from: frank_p on October 19, 2009, 09:10:41 PM

Krylon magnetic paint is not that expensive if I remember well (and if it's still made).

Found it but I don't like spray paints for many reasons, aside from the solvents.
If it's as good as claimed, I'll buy a magnetic powder additive and add it to some water base I can sponge brush in to avoid the wasting, mess and toxins of spray paint.

Taylor

Quote from: Electric_Death on October 19, 2009, 08:58:50 PM

Quote from: Electric_Death on October 19, 2009, 03:53:44 PM
will it make a difference in pedal housings?

Maybe you should consider asking in a GUITARS forum on questions regarding GUITARS.  :icon_wink:

Electric_Death

Quote from: Taylor on October 19, 2009, 09:24:35 PM
Quote from: Electric_Death on October 19, 2009, 08:58:50 PM

Quote from: Electric_Death on October 19, 2009, 03:53:44 PM
will it make a difference in pedal housings?

Maybe you should consider asking in a GUITARS forum on questions regarding GUITARS.  :icon_wink:

Pardon my ignorance, I was assuming that the stomp boxes everyone builds were being used with guitars rather than something like dumbells  :icon_razz:

I know some pedal builders paint their enclosures with magnetic paint insisting it eliminates noise. I've also heard about it being used with guitars.

Taylor

Quote from: Electric_Death on October 19, 2009, 09:46:14 PM
Pardon my ignorance, I was assuming that the stomp boxes everyone builds were being used with guitars rather than something like dumbells  :icon_razz:

I know some pedal builders paint their enclosures with magnetic paint insisting it eliminates noise. I've also heard about it being used with guitars.

First, just so you don't get the wrong idea, I'm not arguing with you and I have no problem with you.

I don't play guitar and never have. I play keyboards and cello. You'll find that many people here don't play guitar. In any case, this particular subforum is called "Building your own stompbox", so any questions asked here will be considered in the context of stompboxes, not guitars. There is a "Lounge -OT" forum where this sort of thing goes.

What pedal builders paint their boxes with magnetic paint? I've never heard of that, would be interested to hear their explanation.

Electric_Death

I haven't been on this forum for a couple years but, most pedal builders do play guitar and in the past, magnetic paint has been a subject at hand.

jacobyjd

Quote from: Electric_Death on October 20, 2009, 04:24:08 AM
I haven't been on this forum for a couple years but, most pedal builders do play guitar and in the past, magnetic paint has been a subject at hand.

True--I think the confusion lies in the fact that you mentioned pedal enclosures, in which case magnetic paint really makes no difference. I wasn't sure what your primary question was before you overtly stated it.

Anyway, regarding shielding your guitar's cavity, I think it's a decent idea. If it's more cost-effective to mix the mag with a base, I'd be up for using that with my guitars in the future. I hate using copper tape, and other sources for paint are expensive.

Let us know if it works :)