frank marino tone?

Started by donald stringer, September 26, 2003, 09:03:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

donald stringer

What pedal/ studio techniqe/or whatever  did he use to get that smooth  outragous version of  All along  the watchtower? One of my all time fav. It almost sounds like some type of synth. effect.
troublerat

Andy

to sound like an idiot, is that not a Hendrix original?
Andy

Rodgre

Quote from: Andyto sound like an idiot, is that not a Hendrix original?

Actually it's a Bob Dylan original.

Frank Marino, if I recall, had a pretty sweet tone. I have the live LP when I was a kid. I wish I had a recording of his version of "Watchtower" here. I'd figure it out for ya.

If you have an mp3 of it, PM me and we'll talk. I'm pretty good at figuring out sounds.

Roger

donald stringer

And its a very good song with just the acoustic version. frank covered it / neil young covered it/ Jimi covered it and almost made it his own. But Franks version almost rivals it, allthough he has not to my knowledge given Jimi hendrix any credit for inspiration.
troublerat

donald stringer

I have it burnt on three separate cd and I could send you one. I dont have the mp3
troublerat

Rick

allthough he has not to my knowledge given Jimi hendrix any credit for inspiration.

Well sure he did, just by playing the song in the same style. Mimicry is the finest form of flattery.  He doesn't have to get up on a soap box and thank everyone for the style he's formed. We all do it. I saw a show with Mahogany Rush in a small arena in Montreal and before Frank jumped into Star Spangled Banner, Machine Gun, Purple Haze he would usually say "this one's for Jimi" or "thank-you Jimi". He put on a good show with some original numbers too.

BillyJ

I recently saw an ad for either an amp or an effects (belive it was an amp) and one of the endorsers was Frank (awesome player) and he had a quote about if there were amps klike this back ion the day he wouldn't have had to build his onw :O)
Frank is into DIY! or at least was. Ya know asking the man wouldn't hurt.
Here is an addy for him:
frankmarino@wildwilly.com
You can send a copy my way if you want :wink:  :wink:

Ammscray

Quote from: BillyJI recently saw an ad for either an amp or an effects (belive it was an amp) and one of the endorsers was Frank (awesome player) and he had a quote about if there were amps klike this back ion the day he wouldn't have had to build his onw :O)
Frank is into DIY! or at least was. Ya know asking the man wouldn't hurt.
Here is an addy for him:
frankmarino@wildwilly.com
You can send a copy my way if you want :wink:  :wink:

Back in the day he used various amps mostly Marshall, the famous SG special with one p-up changed to a full-sized humbucker...at a show at the Boston Garden approx. 1975-76 he had the following on his pedalboard: Red fuzzface, univibe, roland jet phaser, thomas organ crybaby, what looked like a homemade pedal, and of course he had the eventide insta-flanger off on the side...his version of star spangled banner was awesome that night, what an underrated player that guy was/is! I saw him a few years ago in a little club in SO Cal and let me  tell you, his licks are still as DANGEROUS as ever
"Scram kid, ya botha me!"

RDV

I think the the tone Frank had in the 70's shows the quality of Marshall amps then compared to now.

I saw him open for Ted Nugent in Memphis on July 4, 1977(yes I'm old)
The first noise he made that night gave me chicken skin.
That instant I said "I'm gonna do that!".
I have yet to sound like that. :(
But I'm gonna keep trying. :P

My 2 favorites were(are):Frank Marino & Robin Trower.

Regards

RDV

bwanasonic

Didn't Frank Marino have some strange story about how Jerry Garcia came to him in an acid trip and told him how to play? Maybe he was just toying with an interviewer. As for his Jimi influence, the only Mahogany Rush album I knew had a cover pretty reminiscent of Are You Experienced. I used to really like that Mahogony Rush album, but then again, I used to listen to Blue Cheer a lot around that time. It's all a blur really...  I do remember he played an SG.

Kerry M

BillyJ

i was looking at a fans site last nite that frank is in touch with and writes letters to. He mentioned the grateful dead and the deadheads in the first sentance.
I would fair that he really dug the dead and Jerry.
Frank really seem to be a person that is really doing it for the love of music and what that can mean between people.
The dead were like that though though they developed a much larger following.
I like that Frank still rocks, still has tons of people loving what he does, doesn't feel any need to cater to some lame radio rotation.!!! Go Frank!
I hope he comes my way soon. I would really love to see him play :O)
So glad to see Franks name mentioned here.