Original Phase 45 questions.

Started by skiraly017, October 27, 2009, 10:20:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skiraly017

I finally picked up a block logo Phase 45 for cheap. It was sold as non-working but repacing the battery snap and trimmer brought it back to life...sort of. For the first 60% of the rotation of the speed pot it almost acts like a manual sweep and then it kicks in. I've set the trimmer but essentially get no action below a certain point on the speed pot. There may have been water damage to the pedal so should I look at replacing other components? This is my first Phase 45 but from what I can tell based on YouTube videos I should be getting phasing throughout the full range of the pot.
"Why do things that happen to stupid people keep happening to me?" - Homer Simpson

cpm

looks like a linear pot is used for speed, check it may be the case.

the uniformity in pot response is achieved with a reverse log taper.

gmoon

I'm not sure if this helps, but... As the original and only owner of a working MXR Phase 45, yes--it should phase for the full rotation of the POT.

My unit takes about one second to cycle at 12 o'clock. With the speed turned down all the way, the phase cycle takes about 15 seconds.

skiraly017

Quote from: cpm on October 28, 2009, 07:22:52 AM
looks like a linear pot is used for speed, check it may be the case.

the uniformity in pot response is achieved with a reverse log taper.

That was the issue. Any sources for a C500K pot?
"Why do things that happen to stupid people keep happening to me?" - Homer Simpson

liquids

I have an original Phase 45 myself.  I rehoused it actually, and found it's a 'guitar sized' pot, a big 24mm with a 10mm shaft, if I'm not mistaken.

you could get a 16mm C500k here at smallbear:  http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=116

But you might have to do some shimming to get it to stay when you turn it...maybe not, not certain.    

You could just rehouse it if it's more for usage than a nostalgic/show off piece.  Then you could add a hook up for an DC adaptor.  It's a great pedal!
Breadboard it!

skiraly017

I've got a 16mm in there now but was hoping to find a 24mm.

liquids

Breadboard it!