Toner transfer paper

Started by ampman50, October 31, 2009, 08:51:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ampman50

I know that this subject is worn out, but can somebody recommend a photo paper for making a PCB? I know that John Lyons and others prefer the old Staples paper, but I don't have one in this area.

John Lyons

You should look for a paper that is more paper like that plastic on the back.
I know it's not much to go on but you need to experiment and find something
that works for you. There is a closeout store here that had some cheap paper
that turned out to work well for me.
Someone may chime here in with an actual brand name for you to try
but even still you need to make it work for you...

John
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

Johan

I just rip a page out of of my girlfriends magazines...the glossy stuff in fashion mags...tape it to a regular paper for printing...when ironed on, just soak the soon-to-be-pcb in water for a few minutes and the paper will come right off...might not be as perfect:perfect as other papers, but more than good enough..and free (for anyone with a girlfriend..or with interest in those mags..)
j
DON'T PANIC

ianmgull

Quote from: Johan on October 31, 2009, 09:29:17 AM
..and free for anyone with a girlfriend..

You just hurt a lot of pedal nerds feelings! *ducks*

@ampman50:

Not sure where you're located but if you have a Kinkos (or some other print center) they'll be able to show you a piece of the paper before you buy a lot of it. Just ask to see a piece of glossy photo paper like John mentioned and check the back.

Minion

The paper I use is awesome ... Kodac premium photo paper , You iron it on then cool it down then peel it off , no rubbing or disolving of the paper or soaking in water .... great stuff !!!
Go to bed with itchy Bum , wake up with stinky finger !!

Mark Hammer

The thing to look for is a smooth glossy surface.  If you use something that has a shine on both sides,be sure to stick something in between the iron and the paper (like a sheet of normal paper) so that the emulsion doesn't mess up the iron surface.

ampman50

Thanks,

My neighbor manages the local Kinko's. I'll have to check with her on what they have in stock. I've been thinking about taking the Kinko's route for some time, but I had to finish a built for another customer plus winterizing the house.

Fender3D

Man, you have a female neighbor and you'll check what she has in stock??????
"NOT FLAMMABLE" is not a challenge