simple/stupid true bypass question (sorry)

Started by Top Top, November 02, 2009, 06:44:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Top Top

I never put bypass switches on my effects as generally I just build them for myself, and they are rarely used for anything but recording, where I almost never need to actually switch while recording a take...

But I want to build a simple true bypass box to patch into and give me the ability to put any of my effects in/out. I want this box to be as simple as possible - no need for indicator LED or buffer (I hope), just input then a switch to chose between the looped out effect or straight through bypass.

My basic question is - when doing an external true bypass like this, do you need to switch the grounds too, or just the inputs/outputs? Is it just a DPDT switch that switches between both the inputs and outputs?

In designs with true bypass switches included, it shows the ground not in the bypass, but I wonder if there would be any issue then connecting multiple effects in the bypass loop? I guess not, but something doesn't seem right about that to me.

I know this is a topic that has probably been beaten to death, but when I searched, most of the info I could find was for built in bypass or fancy bypass/looper pedals.

brett

Hi
Quotedo you need to switch the grounds too
I'm no expert, but I think the grounds should all be tied together.  Sometimes you'll get ground loop problems, but if you do, cross that bridge when you get to it.
A transmitted signal without a common ground usually doesn't work (the expceptions are flux-based transmission devices such as transformers and opto-couplers).
cheers
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

oliphaunt

I have built quite a few bypass boxes and there has never been a need to switch the grounds.  A DPDT will do it.

trixdropd

Yup, and wire it up so the effect's input is grounded when in bypass.