Bazz Fuss easy question but I'm an easily confused newbe....

Started by JEPorter, November 03, 2009, 09:50:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JEPorter

I want to add a gain pot to the Bazz Fuss circuit and can't find a schmatic with one...i'm probably looking in all the wrong places...Any help would be appreciated :)
THIS SITE IS GREAT!!!  I just started toying around with making pedals after playing guitar for 20 years and this site has so much info...wow
My best,
Jeffrey
Jeffrey

chilecocula

in conservative stompboxes, tone is neither created nor destroyed, but transformed

JEPorter

That looks good...add pot off the E leg of transistor...Thank You very much :icon_biggrin:
Jeffrey

flintstoned

Any better ways to control gain? My 1k pot basically is an on/off switch at 9. Caps kinda helped but not useful enough.
I forgot what I was gonna say here.

Kearns892

I had a similar problem, the first half of the gain was pretty much off and only the last half was usable. I ran a resistor parallel to the pot  to decrease the range of the pot and move it toward the less resistive side. I don't recall the specific value I used, wouldn't help anyway, I didn't use all the recommended values. This helped a lot.

jayp5150

The one in my bass responds really well to the volume knob (I built the darlington version), so maybe use a pot as a voltage divider in the front of the circuit to control gain.

Then again, that's kinda redundant since you could just use your guitar volume, but it would keep it consistent, I guess.

PRR

• SUPPORTER

JEPorter

Hello to all!
I had some health issues with my family and it kept me away from my pedal obsesion...
I want to wire up the pots on the input and output stage as diagramed above and i have the volume pot figured out (which wire to which leg) but not the fuzz pot...I've been going through a bunch of layouts and have picked up a couple of books...I would very much like to know how to wire the pot but I also want to know why it's wired that way and continue to learn...are there any links, tutorials, or books anyone can recommend?
Thank everyone,
Jeffrey
Jeffrey

JEPorter

Jeffrey

mac

mac@mac-pc:~$ sudo apt-get install ECC83 EL84

JEPorter

R4 on your bazzfuss_si ! That's the one...could you let me know which lugs to which wires on that pot?
Great Gallery Mac...very cool ideas:)
Jeffrey

Jeffrey

mac

Looking at the pot from above and lugs pointing to the sky, left lug to emiter, center lug to cap, right lug to gnd. Same as in FF.
Thanks Jeffrey!

mac

JEPorter

Thanks for the information...your gallery section is great...in your My Circuits section the Bazz Fuss design called bazzfuss_si  that has the 100k drive pot on the input labeled R4...that's the design I want to try first...how would that one be wired?
It is the same idea Paul R. diagramed.
Thanks in advance,
Jeffrey
Jeffrey

JEPorter

Here is what i'm thinking as to the drive pot on the input side...
negative side of the 4.7 mf cap to center lug of 100k pot and one outside lug to the switch and the other to ground...does that sound good? :)
Has anybody built a Mezcal Fuzz from Andrew Carrell's vero layout?
Should the gain pot be grounded?
Thank you all,
Jeffrey
Jeffrey

mac

Jeff, wire exactly as I wrote above.

The gain pot at the input acts like lowering the guitar volume. Some complain that it does not work well, it losses highs, but this can be fixed by putting a small pico farad cap (47 to 220pf) between the input and the center lug.

mac

JEPorter

I will Mac, thank you...I'm looking forward to giving it a go :)
Jeffrey
Jeffrey